Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

acrylic paint

dhshaw103
01-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Anyone hrere using acrylic paints for there bodies? I was wondering how the finsih compares to enamal and lacquer.

geofroley
01-23-2005, 06:47 AM
I used acrylic once. Won't ever do it again. It's not as tough as enamel or lacquer and will easily get primer spots when polishing. I even used future and I still got them. I reccomend you use lacquer for all your body needs.

Technoman
01-23-2005, 07:43 AM
I use Tamiya Acrylic paints all the time and the only problem I have is that you need to leave the paint to cure for a really long time. I use a food dehydrator now to cut down on the time.

MPWR
01-23-2005, 07:54 AM
I use acrylics for painting bodies all the time, with excellent results. I almost never wait more than 48 hrs before rubbing an acrylic finish out, and don't bother with a dehydrator. It can be polished to the same level as laquer or enamel, and I've generaly found it to be more forgiving of mistakes.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/67954100_0068.jpg
Tamiya acrylics overcoated with Tamiya acrylic clear, and polished out.

proosen
01-23-2005, 08:38 AM
I've tried and tried and tried again and so on........
Never got the hang of acrylics so I don't use it for bodyworks anymore. I had this truck laying around for more than a year and I still couldn't polish it out without ruining it. Today I use laquer and enamel for my bodyworks and they seldom gives me any problems, if so it's my own fault. With the acrylics it didn't matter what I did, almost certain to get me into trouble with it. Only managed to get one acrylic bodywork to get acceptable and after that no more :mad:

Niclas

Inservible
01-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I use them, I love the final result, and never had a problem!!

Jaymes
01-23-2005, 03:56 PM
while we're on the subject, is it safe to coat Tamiya Lacquer over Tamiya Acrylic? I'm trying to mix a custom color and coating it with Tamiya's new smoke lacquer.

oh and if anyone's tried this, how long do you usually wait for the acrylic to dry? Thanks

mike@af
01-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I use acrylic all the time, it just goes on thinner than enamel so its easy to sand through. I get fine finishes with them, so I love them.

spidereddie
01-23-2005, 04:59 PM
while we're on the subject, is it safe to coat Tamiya Lacquer over Tamiya Acrylic? I'm trying to mix a custom color and coating it with Tamiya's new smoke lacquer.

oh and if anyone's tried this, how long do you usually wait for the acrylic to dry? Thanks

for me. tamiya spray over anything other than tamiya spray eats paint up

RallyRaider
01-23-2005, 05:13 PM
while we're on the subject, is it safe to coat Tamiya Lacquer over Tamiya Acrylic?

Technically it is possible to lay laqures over acrylics. But it would be inadvisable to do so unless you have tested thoroughly and found techniques that work. So short answer is - no.

mickbench
01-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I use acrylics for painting bodies all the time, with excellent results. I almost never wait more than 48 hrs before rubbing an acrylic finish out, and don't bother with a dehydrator. It can be polished to the same level as laquer or enamel, and I've generaly found it to be more forgiving of mistakes.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/67954100_0068.jpg
Tamiya acrylics overcoated with Tamiya acrylic clear, and polished out.

WOW that looks great. I remember years ago I brushed a car with almost the same colour using acrylics. Looked lke crap..!! I was young, and foolish. Now I'm old and erm..!! still foolish.. somethings never change..!!

Vric
01-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Tamiya have the answer:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/2.htm

Only lacquer over lacquer

MPWR
01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
WOW that looks great. I remember years ago I brushed a car with almost the same colour using acrylics. Looked lke crap..!! I was young, and foolish. Now I'm old and erm..!! still foolish.. somethings never change..!!

Thanks! Yeah, the airbrush is a key ingredient- but since starting on acrylics, I almost never spray anything else.

Add your comment to this topic!