Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems with 93' Camry, Cooling Fan?

SecretStuff
01-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Okay, I don't know a whole lot about cars, or the parts of cars or stuff like that. But I will try to explain my problem, as best I can, from what I know.
I have a 1993 Toyota Camry XLE. V6 3.0L engine. Automatic.
I have had some trouble with my car. I don't know if all Camry's are the same, but from what I was told, my Camry's Engine Cooling Fan, is controlled by the Power Steering Fluid, or something like that. Guess it is called a Hydraulic Fan.....Am I right or wrong? Well anyways, my first problems started about 3 months ago. I was driving on the freeway, and suddenly my car started to over heat. I pulled over, and opened the hood. The container thing (where you put the antifreeze in) was boiling drastically. You could hear it bubbling while I was still in the car. So I waited and waited for it to cool down. My friend came to rescue me. Not too sure what he did, but I was able to drive my car back home, with no problems. Well we figured that maybe my radiator was clogged. So we flushed the radiator out, put in all new antifreeze and what not, and the car seemed to do okay.....for a short period.
Again I was driving, and noticed the temp gauge getting higher. It is always in the middle, so when it goes up at all, then I know something is wrong. So I tried my best to get back to my house. The gauge was still at a safe point. As I was about a mile away from the house, the gauge just shot up. Luckily I was very close. So I got home, turned off the car. Got out of the car, and looked down to see that I had left a trail quite a ways back, of antifreeze. I opened the hood up, and that darn container was once again boiling. This time I guess it boiled so much, that it actually broke holes in the top of the container, and antifreeze was splurging out of the holes. I let it cool down for about a week. Decided to try again. When I was going to put antifreeze in it, the container, and the radiator was completely dry. I mean bone dry!!! I thought that was a bad sign. I haven't driven it since.
What I had also noticed, was that the power steering fluid was getting low a lot quicker than it ever has before.
(I forgot to say.....Usually in the mornings before I would start the car,at first I would always have to add antifreeze/water to the radiator. Then it switched on me, and the radiator always was full, but then I would have to fill the container, because it was empty.)
Those couple times my car decided to be a brat and overheat, we started to notice that when the car was on, the engine cooling fan, was not really going at a speed that one would assume it would be going. That is also the same time we started to notice the lack of power steering fluid in the car.
So I know that I just explained probably a whole lot more than I needed to. But it is better to say too much, then to leave out something.
My point is this......If it turns out that the radiator is all clear and not clogged. Then I assume the problem may be with the cooling fan. If the fan is not going fast enough to cool the engine, than that would probably make the car over heat? Correct?
So, what could be the reason why the fan is not going very fast? Even when there IS power steering fluid in the car? If it is a fan problem, how do I fix it? How can I check it? Any other suggestions or comments, or any kind of help at all......Will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry this was so long...... :rolleyes:

Add your comment to this topic!