Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Monte Carlo Rally

RallyRaider
01-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Janury has rolled around alarmingly quickly and the 2005 WRC season has begun - Rally Monte Carlo is running as I type. Looking at the entry list, there has been a complete changing of the guard. The only champion of the nineties left is Didier Auriol, doing quite well in a privately run Peugeot 206.

On leg one the Citroens of Loeb and new recruit Duval have been the class of the field, but behind them it is quite tight, even Panizzi in the Mitsubishi is doing quite well. Gardemeister looks like he is starting to get comfortable in his new Focus and is coming through the pack after a cautious start. Peugeot, Subaru and Mitsubishi are all on Pirellis this year and should probably fall to the Michelins of the Ford.

One thing that is quite disappointing to see is the very small number if stages, many of them repeated. It has been getting worse and worse over the years. Seems a bit of a stretch to actually call these modern events rallies, there is certainly no endurance element to them any more. :(

Dreamspawn
02-01-2005, 12:11 AM
The worse part is if you watch it on speed is the new female announcer god she is annoying. Although i'm really really eager to see what Martin and Duval and do in differnt machines. I'm really pulling for martin myself but i love the way the 307 looks.

RallyRaider
02-04-2005, 02:56 AM
The female announcer has been around for a season or two, she ain't any worse than the previous guy IMHO. I'm talking about the one on the actual BBC (?) coverage, unless you're refering to some local on Speed.

Dreamspawn
02-04-2005, 07:19 AM
On speed for the last season i watched it was colin mcrays old co-driver.

1viadrft
02-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Hopefully Petter Solberg does a bit better!

RallyRaider
02-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Well he didn't on the Monte - maybe this weekend in Sweden. Although hopefully if the Pirellis are up to the task it will be Marcus regaining his Swedish Crown.

lovemycarz
02-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Nicky Grist (Colin McRae's co-driver) still does all of the on-site commentary, but Ralph Shaheen has been replaced by yes, a very annoying woman. This is on SPEEDTV. Nicky Grist rocks!

1viadrft
02-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Well he didn't on the Monte - maybe this weekend in Sweden. Although hopefully if the Pirellis are up to the task it will be Marcus regaining his Swedish Crown.

He was starting to get back in the 'groove' right before he samshed in front-driver side wheel...

Add your comment to this topic!