Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Q bout stroke

civic16
01-21-2005, 08:26 PM
here is my question i drive a little four banger honda i like it. it's reliable
but i am looking to purchase a v8. i am a chevy guy at heart now if i were to pick up a 350 would making it a stroker motor would i get higher rpm redline out of it?

ps. i know it wouldn't be like the 7200 rpm redline in my honda.

nova68
01-22-2005, 05:55 PM
it all depends on how you build the engine

calgary_redneck
01-22-2005, 08:19 PM
here is my question i drive a little four banger honda i like it. it's reliable
but i am looking to purchase a v8. i am a chevy guy at heart now if i were to pick up a 350 would making it a stroker motor would i get higher rpm redline out of it?

ps. i know it wouldn't be like the 7200 rpm redline in my honda.

In theory a longer stroke will mean a "lower redline" as the longer stroke will increase the piston speed for a given rpm. In the real world however this can be over come to some degree by using high quality lighter components. Keep in mind of course that all this will do no good if your heads can't flow enough to keep up with that rpm. An engine has to work as a combination.

civic16
01-23-2005, 06:56 PM
thank you

MrPbody
01-26-2005, 08:01 AM
To achieve a higher rev capability with the same heads, intake, exhaust and camming, you would need to "destroke" it. Installing 327 crank and pistons would do the trick.
If you were to "stroke" the engine to 383 (common deal), you will make more bottom-end power (all other things remaining equal), and an overall improvement in your power curve. Actual rev limit would be lower (power peak), but you can take advantage of the torque the new displacement yields. Smokey Yunik said it best (though he was refering to Pontiacs at the time): "Don't REV it up, GEAR it up..." Your car will be both quicker AND faster. No substitute for cubic inches (except "cubic money", as is the case for getting the little Hondas to run the way they do). V8s don't need to rev high to beat ricers. They just need to be combined correctly.

Vortec350S10
04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
well said

Add your comment to this topic!