Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 TDI vibration/shuddering = timing belt?

bradb123
01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Been poking around a little and might already know the answer to this question.

My 02 TDI has a nasty vibration which makes your feet go to sleep! You can feel it in the both the pedals and floorboards, both at idle and while driving. Seems to itensify the more you accelerate. Doesn't feel as bad driving down hills, but the shuddering gets so bad uphill it feels like all the wheels are out of balance (they are in balance, it's been done a few times). Sort of starts and stops during the course of the drive.

Car has about 62K on it - all highway - wondering if this might be caused by the timing belt. Been reading some scary threads about not changing it in a timely manner. Also read where it could be that the fuel delivery at idle isn't correctly calibrated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

boschmann
01-20-2005, 06:43 PM
When you get that looked at also have them check the engine mounts. I had a late model where a bolt had fallen between the mount & body that caused a similar vibration.

bradb123
01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning, I'll post whatever I find out.

bradb123
02-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Had the car checked out by the dealer. Apparently, they couldn't find anything wrong. The vibration seems to have died down a little bit; not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

We'll just keep driving along and hope nothing serious goes wrong.

veedubmechanic
02-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Check out the intake for carbon buildup. less air = less power and an engine that has to work harder ( rough running) EGR system cleaning can cost anywhere from 300-700 depending if the shop uses chemical intake cleaning kit, removing and hand cleaning, or replacing the manifold and cooler.

Add your comment to this topic!