Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1/12 Fuel Caps

cfcrules
01-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie to modelling properly, being only 15, I've completed the Doyusha 1/12 Porsche 911 Turbo, and a few Ferrari's.

I cut out the fuel cap on my 1/12 Testarossa, however I now need to create a new cover, anyone know how to make a new one as an exact circle?

I've cut out all of the grilles, and will be replacing them with mesh. Just wonderin, whether to paint the black on the grilles before the painting the body or after?

Cheers

willimo
01-20-2005, 12:47 PM
For the fuel door, get a set of dividers. They look like a circle-drawing compass, but with two points instead of a point and a pencil. Open the dividers to the radius of the circle you want, and put one point in a peice of sheet styrene (plasticard), and turn the dividers, like drawing a circle with a compass, using the other point to scrape out a circle until a perfect circle falls out. You will need to clean up the edges, and fill the pinhole in the center, but it will be a cut out circle. I have some pictures of the process on the third page of this thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=300731), when I cut out holes for speakers.

For the mesh, paint them seperately from the body, then attach them after you've painted both them and the body.

Add your comment to this topic!