S-10 no oil pressure need HELP

hx214
01-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey guys I was on here about 2 months ago talking about the low oil pressure on my 2.2 94' s-10(144,000 miles). It would idle and the oil pressure would fall to about 5-10 pounds, but when I hit the gas it would spike to around 40 pounds then hold at about 25 pounds. just when I idled it would get really low. Sometimes when I would get off the highway it would idle at like zero, so I would hold the gas down a bit to keep the pressure up. today as I was going to class, I got off the highway and it spiked at like zero out of nowhere and I hear this clanking noise. so I pulled off to the side and shut it off for about 10 mins. I was only about 2 mins away from the parking deck at school, so I fired it back up and went and parked, after the 10 mins of sitting I didnt hear the clanking noise and my pressure was holding a bit above zero at idle but would hold ok at like 20-25 when I was running the engine? what the heck is going on? I changed the oil about a week ago and put a new filter on, oil seemed pretty clean, no junk so I dont think the oil screen is cloged. I am having some problems with the head gasket leaking but its not major. Is the oil I am using to thin and not building the pressure? I live in ohio and I run 10w-30, I dont want to go much higher because its like 10 degrees here and I dont think the little 2.2 wont be able to handle w-40. Im going to take it home and let it sit until I can figure out what is going on. Im nervous about it now, I dont want to lose my truck... any help would be great, i'll try anything. Thanks in advance

OverBoardProject
01-20-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry to say this, and some peope might dis-agree with me, but since it's starting to give you problems I think that you should prey that the motor lasts until you can afford a re-built one, and start saving up.

Good Luck

'89sdimeblazer
01-20-2005, 07:29 PM
hey i have an '89 and my oil gauge is all over the place too ive heard alot about them goin on older chevy's, gmcs and olds bravadas. they say its the sender, I havent yet experienced n e clicks except my oil gauge goes up and down so fast i cant see the needle when im coasting its very strange i have the 4.3L v6 tho. Ill keep you posted if i hear n e thing else about this thing

vtmecheng
01-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Check you oil pressure sending unit, look in a repair book to find its location. If it seams to be clean and operating properly then you should test the oil pressure or have a shop do it. A low oil pressure will either mean a blockage somewhere or a bad oil pump. Either way you will need to have it fixed or your truck will die very very quickly.

hx214
01-21-2005, 07:04 PM
well I took her home and the pressure seems to have gotten worse, and the clanging was getting bad. So she is sitting in the garage until it warms up and I can get out and work on it. I really think it threw a rod. Does anybody know where and how much I could get a new engine for? this little 2.2 has more than done its job, and I think its time to give it a rest. I think the bearings are just to old to hold the pressure. You guys that are having the same problem make sure your on top of it.

busa_4
01-23-2005, 08:29 AM
if you want it to last a little longer put in some thicker oil. find the thickest oil you can buy but dont buy gear oil (80w-90, 75w-90, etc.) it is too thick for winter use. the thicker oil should take up the excessive bearing clearances on that high mileage motor. you cant hurt it anymore than it is. if you really have some time, do a compression test to see how worn it is. if your bearings are worn well then your cylinder walls are worn too and you will have a low compression reading. if your compression checks out in spec, i would drop the oil pan and replace the main and connecting rod bearings and replace the oil pump and pickup screen.

OverBoardProject
01-23-2005, 12:54 PM
If you want to try that trick (which might help) try using straight 30 weight oil, and see if you can find it in synthetic.... although synthetic will be pricy it might buy you a few months more time.

sector95
01-31-2005, 04:18 PM
If your getting a clanking noise when the pressure drops to zero (as indicated on your dash gauge) then you probably have low oil pressure.

I do not know how you manintain your truck (regular oil & filter changes, doing the usual preventive maintenance items) or what kind of driving you do: highway mileage or just barely get it warm from the dorm to the student parking lot then shut it down driving. This later type of driving will generate a lot of sludge over time and you may have a clogged oil pump screen. If thats the case, it can be repaired. Oil pumps rarely "wear out" because of the job they do. On the other hand, if the truck has been abused, oil changes haven't been done,etc. then a typical symptom of worn main bearings is low oil pressure. As the tight tolorances of the bearing surfaces wear and enlargen, they can no longer contain the oil and pressure is lost as too much oil leaks out around the bearings.

A sign your lower end is dying is a short-lived, dull knocking when you cold-start the engine.

I would bring your truck in for a professional diagnosis ASAP and be prepared for the worst (engine rebuild). Running your engine in a low oil pressure condition will kill it: you are on borrowed time.

mike

Logikal
01-31-2005, 04:50 PM
If you hear a clanking noise, then something internal has gone wrong. If you hear it when you get cold starts, it's probably the main bearings becuase when you first start your engine there is no oil on the bearings and they are running dry which causes all the clanking. Im selling my 97 2.2 with 156k miles, needs clutch... 5spd and the needs a paint job and minor body work.. went out yesterday after it had been sitiing in 0 degree weather fired right up like a champ...Oh well, good luck man...

smokey041369
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
i had a s-10 with the 2.2, they are junk sorry to say, i replaced it with a 2.5 that came from a racing truck, way better motor ( junk yards sometimes will sell used v6's for 200 - 400 $ ) i would look into swapping the 2.2 out for sometime else

lstein89
02-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Sounds like your engine definitely has a problem with sludge. Your oil pressure gauge is probably accurate. However, oil pump problems are fairly rare, and if you did have an oil pump problem, your oil pressure would be consistently low. (You oil pressure wouldn't spike and then drop.)

Your truck has seen about 14,000 miles a year, which means it most likely as seen a lot of city (stop & go) driving and short trips, which contribute to excessive sludge build-up by not keeping the engine warm enough and not keeping crankcase pressure high enough for the PCV system to operate properly. (Your PCV valve also probably hasn't been replaced frequently enough over the life of the truck.)

The "clanking" noise you're hearing is probably one of the hydraulic valve lifters running dry from lack of oil. I wouldn't worry about that, though, as long as you're only hearing it when the oil pressure drops below somewhere around 10lbs.

What you need to work on is getting that engine clean, and the use of heavy-weight oil and oil-thickening agents will only make matters worse for your engine - what it needs is to be properly flushed with sludge-dissolving chemicals. Talk to your mechanic or you can pick up a can of some engine flush at your local auto parts store if you do your own oil changes (Read the instructions and DO NOT drive with the stuff in your engine!)

As an alternative, you could try ZMax. It runs around $35 and you can add it to your engine at any time, though it works best when added during an oil change. As a mechanic, I use it on a lot of cars that I see starting to build up sludge, and it seems to do an excellent job of dissolving the build-up as you drive.

Once the sludge is dissolved and you once again have a clean engine, your engine will hold proper oil pressure with 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. (You really don't need to go higher than that unless you live in a climate that routinely sees temps of over 100*.

Of course, I don't think I need to say it, but at your truck's age, regular oil AND filter changes every 3,000 miles, as wll as PCV valve replacement are critical. (You can check the PCV valve by simply pulling it out and shaking it up and down - if you don't hear the valve inside rattling when you shake it, it's time to replace it - they only cost $4.)

Hope this helps... Happy motoring!

dmbrisket 51
02-03-2005, 11:22 PM
ok here i go with it again, use sea foam in your crank case, its awsome stuff... if that doesnt work, either junk it or swap it

hakogen
02-04-2005, 03:41 AM
have we overlooked the obvious? is there oil in it? whens the last time you pulled the dipstick?

if not low on oil, i say its prob the sludge. the 2.2's are bulletproof if you treat them nice. i swear by mine. use the solvent, then put some 5w30 mobil 1 in it with a teflon filter and a LUCAS oil treatment. (90k, never left me stranded)

hx214
02-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Ya I just changed the oil so it was clean, the engine has 146,000 miles on it so I cant complain. Ya at 90k I never had a problem either, wasnt until about 120,000 when everything started going... You say the 2.2 is bulletproof? I just read something the other day in a mag that said it was one of the worst engines ever made. I replaced the head gasket at 74,000 and then it blew another one at 122,000, that was not a fun time in the garage. Like I said before though, im not mad at it, 146,000 is a ton for a little 4 banger and it did alot of work that most s-10's would have never seen. I'm just gonna clear a space in the garage and rip this one out and see if I can find another 2.2 to drop in, and then clean everything up, Oil pan and pump and all that jazz I would look for something else (V6) but I have a ton of newer parts for this engine. I appreciate all the suggestions and help though guys, Thanks alot

mata1957
06-03-2005, 12:06 AM
I too have the problem with a v6 2.8, >200k,
how rare are t he oil pump failures?
Should I have the engine rebuilt or buy another?
I'm going to try the sludge removal, engine cleaning tip for now, as my gauge does spike...any other advice would be greately appreciated.

Sounds like your engine definitely has a problem with sludge. Your oil pressure gauge is probably accurate. However, oil pump problems are fairly rare, and if you did have an oil pump problem, your oil pressure would be consistently low. (You oil pressure wouldn't spike and then drop.)

Your truck has seen about 14,000 miles a year, which means it most likely as seen a lot of city (stop & go) driving and short trips, which contribute to excessive sludge build-up by not keeping the engine warm enough and not keeping crankcase pressure high enough for the PCV system to operate properly. (Your PCV valve also probably hasn't been replaced frequently enough over the life of the truck.)

The "clanking" noise you're hearing is probably one of the hydraulic valve lifters running dry from lack of oil. I wouldn't worry about that, though, as long as you're only hearing it when the oil pressure drops below somewhere around 10lbs.

What you need to work on is getting that engine clean, and the use of heavy-weight oil and oil-thickening agents will only make matters worse for your engine - what it needs is to be properly flushed with sludge-dissolving chemicals. Talk to your mechanic or you can pick up a can of some engine flush at your local auto parts store if you do your own oil changes (Read the instructions and DO NOT drive with the stuff in your engine!)

As an alternative, you could try ZMax. It runs around $35 and you can add it to your engine at any time, though it works best when added during an oil change. As a mechanic, I use it on a lot of cars that I see starting to build up sludge, and it seems to do an excellent job of dissolving the build-up as you drive.

Once the sludge is dissolved and you once again have a clean engine, your engine will hold proper oil pressure with 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. (You really don't need to go higher than that unless you live in a climate that routinely sees temps of over 100*.

Of course, I don't think I need to say it, but at your truck's age, regular oil AND filter changes every 3,000 miles, as wll as PCV valve replacement are critical. (You can check the PCV valve by simply pulling it out and shaking it up and down - if you don't hear the valve inside rattling when you shake it, it's time to replace it - they only cost $4.)

Hope this helps... Happy motoring!

OverBoardProject
06-03-2005, 01:21 AM
It's the same basic Chevy oil pump design, so it's not the problem.

They are just lousy crank shaft journals, so the bearings wear out way too fast.

86 and newer motors are better, but the 3.1L and 3.4L motors are better yet. And they'll bolt right on your transmission and motormounts.

I would recomend droping in a 3.4L motor from a comaro.

Heres 4 web pages to look at on the subject
http://s-series.org/module-htmlpages-display-pid-1-print-1.html
http://users.spec.net/home/emxjc/
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/28-34swap.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~micfly/matt.htm

Add your comment to this topic!