Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

15 inch but want 16 or even 18 inch

jackass#1
01-20-2005, 04:37 AM
91 s10 blazer with 15 inch wheels. i want to go to 16 or even maybe 18 inch. i cant just slap them on and go can i? what do i need to do? and how will it effect my speedo?

Fractured1
01-20-2005, 08:20 AM
check out
http://www.tirerack.com

TexasF355F1
01-20-2005, 11:11 AM
straight swap for the most part. you may need to know what backspacing you need or want. but if you go to discount they usually know exactly what to order.

OverBoardProject
01-20-2005, 02:59 PM
All tire stores will know what will fit your truck.

You'll have to get a lower profile tire, and if you get the the same diameter tire your speedo and everything will still be right.

jackass#1
01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
thanks guys

'89sdimeblazer
01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I put 18's on my blazer with low pro tires and it only threw my speedo off like 3 mph no big deal

OverBoardProject
01-24-2005, 08:24 PM
I put 18's on my blazer with low pro tires and it only threw my speedo off like 3 mph no big deal

That's pretty good.

can you by any chance send in a photo, so the poor guy can see how that size of tires will look in his wheel wells?

Also what tire size, and wheel size did you use? The offset would be nice too, if you know what it is.

I would just hate to see him buy everything, and not be as happy as you are.

I'm glad that those wheels worked out for you

BlazinUP
01-26-2005, 10:44 PM
i know plenty of people who go large rim/wider tire.
rember to throw some better cross drilled/slotted rotors....and a good quality pad....like ray bestos...
everyone i know that did the rim/tire upgrade....said they felt the breaks fade alot faster on the stock rotors/pads.........

OverBoardProject
01-26-2005, 11:16 PM
i know plenty of people who go large rim/wider tire.
rember to throw some better cross drilled/slotted rotors....and a good quality pad....like ray bestos...
everyone i know that did the rim/tire upgrade....said they felt the breaks fade alot faster on the stock rotors/pads.........

In theory this isn't the case, Most aftermarket wheels allow more air to flow through the brakes, plus the tire / wheel combo is often lighter.
So with this in mind the brakes should work better, and last longer.

Adding BIG tires to a 4x4 does the opposite it adds several pounds per wheel, so with a 4x4 with big tires you could have a problem

xtrememeasures10
01-30-2005, 07:28 PM
In theory this isn't the case, Most aftermarket wheels allow more air to flow through the brakes, plus the tire / wheel combo is often lighter.
So with this in mind the brakes should work better, and last longer.

Adding BIG tires to a 4x4 does the opposite it adds several pounds per wheel, so with a 4x4 with big tires you could have a problem

Ive heard anything over 20in You wanna get performance breaks, thats just what ive heard. Also you can a reprogrammer to fix your speedo.

OverBoardProject
01-30-2005, 07:34 PM
seriously if the tire/wheel combo is no heavier than stock, and the outer diameter of the tire isn't bigger than your brakes will act like they do on a non modified truck, the same as with the stock tire size

movin2stereo
01-30-2005, 07:51 PM
seriously if the tire/wheel combo is no heavier than stock, and the outer diameter of the tire isn't bigger than your brakes will act like they do on a non modified truck, the same as with the stock tire size
That's just it,the wheels are bigger,making them heavier so to speak.How can I explain this?Lets say a 14 inch wheel has a 10 inch brake disc and that this setup has been tested by the factory and works fine.Now take a 20inch wheel and use the same brake disc.The momentum(not sure how to spell it)has increased meaning that the little 10 inch brake disc now has to really work to slow the wheel down. The amount of heat that the pads and disc endur increase also.Thats why guys that run larger wheels get slotted discs and better pads.I heard that the government was wanting to ban the larger wheels due to brake failure.You know how stories are though. :screwy:

OverBoardProject
01-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Well personally I could really care less if they ban every wheel over 18", saince I think that they all look ugly on trucks made for 15" wheels.

But the wheel manufactors can make 20" wheels weigh pretty well the same as stock 15" wheels if they wanted to, although they'll be pricy. Stock wheels are rarely built as light as they can be and never made out of the latest materials.

And then since the tires have basicly no sidewall, and you can only make them so wide without clearance problems the tires shoud be lighter than stock.

But again you have to pay big bux for a light weight set of tires.

I recently saw a set of 20" tires, wheels on display with a price tag well over $2000. canadian. For that much money they had better be lighter than my factory wheels.

If I was personally going to spend that much on the tire/wheel combo I would already have corvette brakes, or better. But you know some young people they want everything to look cool, and are to stupid to care if they can stop

jackass#1
01-31-2005, 03:56 AM
i want to go with a bigger tire. the tire i want is cheaper in a 16 inch than 15 inch. dont know why but it is. ive got alot of room in my tire well, my blazer just looks so small with stock tire size. i dont want to go bigger rim and then smaller tire, i want bigger tires.
thanks for all the input. ill go to tire store and see what i find.

BlazerLT
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I LOVE MY 18s!

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=501/93207DSCF1361-med.JPG

Add your comment to this topic!