Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

No "honk" confirmation sound

yamamoto
01-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Hello there,

I have a 97 Grand Prix GT which I have recently bought. It did not come with the keyless entry had to purchase the remotes seperatly from ebay.

Keyless remotes that I purchased form ebay have a panic button, and they were programmed with the car following the instructions that came with it. My problem or concern is that when I lock the car using the remote the "honk" confirmation does not work, nor do the parking lights flash? And nor does the "panic" button work at all, but everything else works, Lock, unlock, trunk.

I checked out the owners manual and tried to follow the instructions for "Remote Lock/Unlock Confirmation" and it doesn't work. I only hear 1 chime when I hit the Lock button on my remote when the car is in the programming mode. So i can't really change modes on it, ever time I hit the Lock button I hear 1 chime. I tried other functions and they all work for instance the lights, and the door's unlocking blah blah. So I am not sure if this car is even equipped with this feature, could that be the case ?? Or is there something that I am doing wrong?

If anyone has any idea how I can make the car "honk" when I press the lock button please do share, or just throw your two cents about what you think.

Thanks very much in advance for any inputs.

the.dude
01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Pretty sure remotes for the 97-98 didnt come with panic buttons, and those cars dont do the "honk" confirmation. If they did, it was an option or something, my 98 sure doesn't. I'd rather listen for the 'click' than inform the whole parking lot that I just locked my car anyway.

You're probably lucky the remotes you bought for different year work otherwise.

BIG-L
01-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Pretty sure remotes for the 97-98 didnt come with panic buttons

My 97 has it.

~Larry~

yamamoto
01-20-2005, 12:39 PM
My 97 has it.

~Larry~

one is pretty sure 97-98 GT's dont' have it, and on the other Hand it works for Big-L ( Larry) :)

back to square one....anyone else ???? any more input....?

Thanks for your input guys !

94sportsedan
01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
My 1997 came with two remotes with panic button. My horn will only honk to confirm a door lock right after I have had the battery disconnected then will never do it again, just flashes the headlights.

yamamoto
01-20-2005, 04:01 PM
My 1997 came with two remotes with panic button. My horn will only honk to confirm a door lock right after I have had the battery disconnected then will never do it again, just flashes the headlights.

Mine doesn't flash lights or anything, just have to pay close attention to it and listen to the "click" sound to know it locked the doors. thanks for replying though.

But does your panic work though ?? cuz my panic doesn't even work, not that i need it but just for troubleshooting purposes. Maybe my car doesn't have the honk confirmation. But if that's the case howcome it's got other feature like the doors lock and light light up and i can change the sequence of how these things happen. Weird......hmnmmm

the.dude
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
guess I was wrong. I've not seen one with the "honk"

Trust anything BIG-L says over me for sure

kustomkid54
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I always agree with Larry. But can't this time. My 97 and both 98's don't beep and the only three buttons it has are; lock, unlock and trunk. Now you might be that you can hold down one of the buttons and do something else. Then I would have to agree with Larry again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/kustomkid54/pontiac_logo.gif

Mine doesn't flash lights or anything, just have to pay close attention to it and listen to the "click" sound to know it locked the doors. thanks for replying though.

But does your panic work though ?? cuz my panic doesn't even work, not that i need it but just for troubleshooting purposes. Maybe my car doesn't have the honk confirmation. But if that's the case howcome it's got other feature like the doors lock and light light up and i can change the sequence of how these things happen. Weird......hmnmmm

BIG-L
01-20-2005, 06:22 PM
It's funny that both of my FOBs are 4 button and yes mine honks when I lock the doors with it.

My 97 and both 98's don't beep and the only three buttons it has are; lock, unlock and trunk.

I was just stating what my 97 has.

~Larry~

kustomkid54
01-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Larry,
I beleive you. But here's the keys from the GTP and GTX. Wife put the 97 someplace. But only 3 buttons on each.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/kustomkid54/Keys001.jpg

I always agree with Larry. But can't this time. My 97 and both 98's don't beep and the only three buttons it has are; lock, unlock and trunk. Now you might be that you can hold down one of the buttons and do something else. Then I would have to agree with Larry again.

yamamoto
01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Larry,
I beleive you. But here's the keys from the GTP and GTX. Wife put the 97 someplace. But only 3 buttons on each.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/kustomkid54/Keys001.jpg

Very interesting.... as I stated earlier I have bought the remotes of the Ebay it was stated that the remotes are for 97-2000 GT Brand Spanking New and both of the remotes have the panic button....Interesting.... very interesting.... anyone else who owns a 97-98 GT or GTP ... confirm ??

Thanks !

the.dude
01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
While were on the key fobs... Does anyone know where to get GM blank keys for cheap? the generic ones from most hardware stores kinda suck. My key looks like my dog tried to eat it.

kustomkid54
01-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Wife found keys for 97. Has 4 buttons
Also found keys that came with GTX, (different flob) that one has four buttons too. Don't know how the ones I'm useing only have three. But will change them this week.

As far as keys go, Lowes has them. Don't look bad.

Very interesting.... as I stated earlier I have bought the remotes of the Ebay it was stated that the remotes are for 97-2000 GT Brand Spanking New and both of the remotes have the panic button....Interesting.... very interesting.... anyone else who owns a 97-98 GT or GTP ... confirm ??

Thanks !

BIG-L
01-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Ok,this is what I found out.

3 button is keyless only...4 is keyless w/alarm

~Larry~

yamamoto
01-21-2005, 03:40 PM
okay....thanks Larry. So that means that my car has keyless entry only.... doesn't have the alarm. No biggie... i just wanted to know if I could have the alarm function "honk" confirmation tunred on if it was off.

Thanks for all those that showed interested and especially those who replied with valuable info i.e. Larry :) and all others .

BIG-L
01-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Glad I could try and help.I think we all learned something from this :wink: Even the Kid, with his 2 different types of remotes :lol:

If you have an alarm,you will see a small red light in the center of the dash,close to the windshield.

~Larry~

kustomkid54
01-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Larry,
Called dealer about this. They can't figure how 3 button works on GTX. Was going to reprogram other one, but wouldn't use it for everyday anyhow.
This is the only clown I have seen that down grades and not upgrades.

Glad I could try and help.I think we all learned something from this :wink: Even the Kid, with his 2 different types of remotes :lol:

If you have an alarm,you will see a small red light in the center of the dash,close to the windshield.

~Larry~

John Kanaly
01-22-2005, 11:25 PM
On my 98 the remote has 4 buttons. but to get it to sound the horn I have to lock it and then relock with in 10 sec to get the horn to honk :grinyes:

yamamoto
01-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Actully Larry i do have the tiny two lights close to the windshiel inside the car, but they don't light up when i lock the doors with the remote or either manually (using the lock button on the door). As i mentioned before i recently purchased this car so i am not sure if you have to do something to get this activated. My 2 cents..... lol

Add your comment to this topic!