Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i need a v8

dudeking
01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
i have a 98 tacoma v4. is it at all possible to pull out the engine and put in maybe a tundra v8 or anyother v8? wut would i have to change?

Flash75
01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
It's possible but not very pratical. It will cost considerably less to sell your truck and buy what you want. The serial number in your truck identifys the engine as well as other components. If you put in some other engine you will have a difficult time selling it later as it wil be a non standard vehicle. I don't know your emission rules are but you will have a difficult to impossible task trying to make your truck comply with emission requirements.
My 2 cents.
Clifton

lalojamesliz
01-19-2005, 09:20 PM
It's possible but not very pratical. It will cost considerably less to sell your truck and buy what you want. The serial number in your truck identifys the engine as well as other components. If you put in some other engine you will have a difficult time selling it later as it wil be a non standard vehicle. I don't know your emission rules are but you will have a difficult to impossible task trying to make your truck comply with emission requirements.
My 2 cents.
Clifton

hey clifton,
I have noticed in many of your posts that the only thing you ever really say is the cons of people's ideas never any pros....WHY? when people ask these questions (I do also) we are just curious to see what other ideas people have about our ideas that could help us not things that ruin our hopes.I know it looks like Im picking a fight (Im not) im just tired of you never saying things that help people. if someone wants to do a engine swap dont you think they already know the serial numbers wont match.Emission rules are diffrent, they are important. If i saw a truck like that with a V8....I would buy it. just my 50 cents :)

Shredhead
01-20-2005, 04:40 AM
What about a super charger I don't know if it would cost all that much less but I think it would be a hell of a lot easier.

Shredhead
01-20-2005, 04:54 AM
i have a 98 tacoma v4. is it at all possible to pull out the engine and put in maybe a tundra v8 or anyother v8? wut would i have to change?

Are You saying you have a v6 or an in line 4?

Flash75
01-20-2005, 08:09 AM
hey clifton,
I have noticed in many of your posts that the only thing you ever really say is the cons of people's ideas never any pros....WHY? when people ask these questions (I do also) we are just curious to see what other ideas people have about our ideas that could help us not things that ruin our hopes.I know it looks like Im picking a fight (Im not) im just tired of you never saying things that help people. if someone wants to do a engine swap dont you think they already know the serial numbers wont match.Emission rules are diffrent, they are important. If i saw a truck like that with a V8....I would buy it. just my 50 cents :)

Your point is well taken. It isn't my intention to discourage anyone. If they wish to modify their vehicle it's their money and their vehicle. I have worked on and traded lots of old cars and have seen many projects that were were started but never finished due to lack of interest or lack of funds. Those projects come up for sale rather frequently. I have also been involved on some older car restorations and building some grass roots level race cars. Many of those projects also fail due to lack of funds and for other reasons. I suppose I should keep in mind that most people who post here are much younger than I am. Being 75 years old I tend to see some things differently than many of you. On the other hand I feel that people who ask questions that don't make economic sense should know the facts. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have no desire to shatter peoples dreams, but some people don't have realistic dreams.

Thinking back I have been negative on at least two projects that would have been a major undertaking for a skilled mechanic unless he also has a good shop with welding and fabrication equipment. In addition he would need to be an engineer to get the electronics right. The question on the conversion from 2 x 4 to 4 x 4 and the question in this thread come to mind. Based on the way they asked their questions it appeared they were not mechanics and if I had asked the questions I would want to know some of the pitfalls of the projects.

I could go on but your point is made and in the future I'll try to point out both sides of proposed projects. I do appreciate you bringing this up and I certainly have no desire to argue or fight, I'm too old for that.

Regards, Clifton

wrigley123
01-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Clifton

I too am a little older than most of the individuals that post here. I have gotten some very good information from this forum, and learned a few things as well. I also tend to look at things from a realistic and economical point of view. When reading your replys, I can relate to why you say what you say. I don't beleive you are trying to be disrespectful or burst anyones bubble. You have years of experience that go far beyond just doing something without thinking of the consequences. The beauty of this forum is the diversity of opinions that are here. Clifton, I value your opinion.

Mike

Flash75
01-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Mike: I appreciate the kind words. I have also seen lots of valuable information on this forum.

lolojamesliz told me what he thinks and I respect him for that, his comments make me think about how I will answer questions in the future. However, if something isn't economically pratical I feel that information should also be pointed out. Knowing both sides of a proposed project may keep someone from getting in over their head and later later having to abandon the project and run an ad that may read. (99 Nissan PU with Chevy V-8 conversion for sale. Project is 90% complete, I have the new engine and tranny all you have to do is drop it in and hook it up. I ran out of time and money and have lost interest in the project. My loss is your gain. Call---------). Not a real ad but typical of many ads I have seen.

Regards, Clifton

Shredhead
01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey I have seen a completed project chevy 350 V8 on a motorcycle, this was in the motorcycle trader. If someone can do that just about anything is possible. Oh and don't get me wrong Im not saying practical Im just saying possible

Flash75
01-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Dudeking; You don't say if you have a 4 x 4. Downey Offroad builds V6 and V8 conversion components for Toyota's. It may be a good idea to call them and discuss your needs with them. They should be able to give you some ideas about what you need to make a conversion. I believe their conversion components are for for GM engines.
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/index.html

Clifton

lalojamesliz
01-23-2005, 09:53 PM
hey clifton thanks for being so understandable and not getting mad(i was at first) im 21 and very intrested in cars and im hoping one day ill have the same skills as you but for now im a ice cream maker at dreyers in bakersfield (new job) and soon ill buy a welder and begin a new experience

Add your comment to this topic!