Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Camry - heat problem

weran43
01-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I get no heat in the bottom (feet) vents. When I put the selector knob in either of the two positions for the feet, I hear a hissing sound indicating a blocked vent or something to that effect.
Any idea how to go about diagnossing this problem ... without taking the entire dash apart?

toolfansat
12-20-2005, 08:47 AM
I get no heat in the bottom (feet) vents. When I put the selector knob in either of the two positions for the feet, I hear a hissing sound indicating a blocked vent or something to that effect.
Any idea how to go about diagnossing this problem ... without taking the entire dash apart?

Ever find anything out about your problem? My 2002 SE has the exact problem, and I'm not sure where to look.

weran43
02-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, I have not fixed or found the cause of my problem with the heating system - I basically have resigned to driving without heat to my feet ...:(.
I did come across another posting, though, where the same problem on another 2002 camry had been fixed twice by the dealer, but the problem persists and now the dealer wants $3k(!!!) to fix it again, since that car is no longer under warranty.
I just wonder whether this is a wide-spread problem. b

Anyone?

toolfansat
02-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I have the solution you are looking for!

Crawl under the dash on the drivers side - it helps to tilt the steering wheel all the way up and move the seat all the way back. You do not need to remove any dash panels!
Also, it helps to have a flashlight handy.

Under the dash, towards the center of the car, you will see a white plastic rail with another white plastic piece that is probably popped out of the 1st rail (it will make sense when you see it). You simply have to pop the knob from piece #2 back into the rail, so it slides. After you put it in, reach up and turn the selector - gently - from postion to position, and you should feel heat again!

I have not yet figured out how to make the pieces stay together permanently, but at least it's pretty easy to fix!

One more thing.... since I have fixed mine, I have found that it is important to move the airflow selector - v.e.r.y gently... don't slam from defrost all the way over to floor in one motion. Pause for a second or two at each stop.

Hope this works for you!

Add your comment to this topic!