Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

broken timing belt

camase
01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Hello everyone,
I have a 1999 Passat,1.8L Turbo and it looks like the timing belt broke.
I was driving on the highway and suddenly the engine died.I didn't hear any noise.I towed the car and now I have it in my garage.The scanner showed a code related to the camshaft position sensor.I checked the harness and I have 5 Volts before the sensor.I opened the timing belt cover and I noticed that some teeth are missing from the belt.
It looks like big trouble.
I'm looking for some advices about how to replace the belt and also how to check if anything is damaged in the engine.Is there any ways to check if the camshaft position sensor is still good?
Thanks,
Camase

veedubmechanic
01-26-2005, 10:24 PM
If your t-belt broke while driving, you will need a new cylinder head because there is a 99% chance you bent at least 4 valves. Bummer you didnt have the t-belt replaced before this happened.

camase
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
If your t-belt broke while driving, you will need a new cylinder head because there is a 99% chance you bent at least 4 valves. Bummer you didnt have the t-belt replaced before this happened.
Hi,
it looks like something is messed up.I installed the new belt and I completed some turns by hand.There is no compression at all on any cylinder.I guess it's time now to open the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!