Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Rio idles high when cold and won't kick down

ENC Machado
01-19-2005, 09:11 AM
This started about a year ago. When engine is cold started it goes to 2000 RPM and won't kick down. Happens about every third time I try to start it. I have to floor the accelerator several times then it will kick down to idle. I have let it run 2-3 minutes to see if it would respond and it does'nt lower. Took it to dealer and they said everything is fine. I had both recalls done and both times I brought up the problem. They said there was no problem and it was not throwing codes. I am thinking a bad TPS? Any idea's?

computerdude14
03-04-2005, 07:00 AM
This started about a year ago. When engine is cold started it goes to 2000 RPM and won't kick down. Happens about every third time I try to start it. I have to floor the accelerator several times then it will kick down to idle. I have let it run 2-3 minutes to see if it would respond and it does'nt lower. Took it to dealer and they said everything is fine. I had both recalls done and both times I brought up the problem. They said there was no problem and it was not throwing codes. I am thinking a bad TPS? Any idea's?

hmm... possibly a bad TPS, but seeings how the car is relatively new, unless it happened to be a factory defect, then i wouldnt think that the TPS would be to blame. im guessing its fuel injected,right? at any rate... check your throttle cable to make sure its not binding up anywhere and that there is at least a little bit of slack in the cable while its supposed to be in the idle position. if the cable is sticking or binding up at all anywhere, then make sure you just replace the cable instead of trying to bend it back or fix it somehow because eventually it will just do the same thing again anyway. if that doesnt seem to be causing the problem... then try resetting the ecu just in case... to do that, take the keys out of the ignition, and then locate your fuse box and find the fuse that is for the ECU or computer or whatever Kia decides to name the computer in your car. pull that fuse out, and just let the car sit without that fuse in place for like 5 or 10 mins, and then come back and put the fuse back in it, and start it up. if it seems to have fixed it, then hooray! lol. if that still doesnt fix it, then its possible that one of the sensors that control the airflow through the manifold into the engine might be malfunctioning. i am not sure if kia's have this, but i know that on my honda prelude theres something called the EACV which is Electronic Air Control Valve which when working properly, is supposed to sense when the car is supposed to be idling, and as it warms up gradually and starts to need more air to get into the motor, then the EACV will open up a little bit to compensate for the needs of the motor to maintain the set idle speed, but then when the motor needs less air so it can run at slower rpms, it will close slightly so that not as much air can flow into the motor, etc. however, when that malfunctions, it generally will either idle very very low, just about to the point where it can barely even stay running, or it will idle very high like around 1500-2000 rpms and so on and so forth. if your kia has something like this, its possible that it is sticking at times letting it stay open farther than it should be when its cold. if not, then i dont think theres anything else that i know of that can help you, but maybe someone else on here might be of more help? let us know if any of this helps you or works, and such. peace!

mike

kia469
06-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey dude,

kia469
06-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey dude,
I hope that your car has no probs any more. Mike's advice is good. I have a 2001 Kia Rio and it seems that most of the probs that the car has are directly related to the computer or the fuel system. If the car is cold then it is running with all of the injectors firering at once in an attempt to heat up the engine. If your prob is with the fuel system, chances are that the injectors are putting out too much gas or you are not getting enough air. Try getting a new fuel filter, air filter, and new spark plugs. I recommend NGK iridium IX plugs from sparkplugs.com. If there is too much fuel you will smell gas from the tailpipe and there may be black smoke when you stomp the gas. If it is air, the filter should fix it. If it doesn't the prime suspect is the ECU or MAF sensor. Another problem could be vacum lines. I know that the 87 IROC I worked on had a very bad problem with vacum. It will make it rev high, burn rich, and rob serious horsepower. Those vacum lines took a 10 sec. qtr. car down to 18 sec. The kia would kill it at that point, and we are talking about a corvette 350 engine. well anyway, I hope I have helped.
-jason

Add your comment to this topic!