Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Camry Problem Starting

Den3221
01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi, got a 92 Camry that stranded me after work today.

Went to turn the key but only heard a bunch of clicking noises. Figuring it was the battery, I had a co-worker jump me. Got the car started, after a little difficulty, went to put it in gear, and it stalled. Re-jumped it again, but this time let it idle for 5 minutes to warm-up. However, it still stalled. The second time, I realized that it stalled exactly when I put my foot on the brake (it had been idling fine for about 5 minutes before that without a problem). Note that it was really cold today in Virginia (around 20 degrees), not sure if that provides anymore information regarding my problem.

I am thinking that I may have a short somewhere? My battery is pretty old (it is 5+ years old) and could be a problem as well. Could a really bad battery short the system? What can I check before having it towed? I was thinking about buying a new battery as a starting point........unless any other 'easy-check' ideas......

Thank you for any help.

Blitzgray
01-18-2005, 08:30 PM
The first thing I would do is take the battery to an auto parts store and have it tested. What you are describing sounds like its the alternator but a dead cell in your bat can make the whole system act weird. Good Luck

Den3221
01-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. As of right now, unless I get a better idea, I will start by taking the battery into an Auto Parts store for testing. That seems like the cheapest starting point, and the battery needs to be replaced (along with the terminals) anyway. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!