Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Change

jcollum
03-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi... I bought a used '99 Chevy Cavalier in October at 33k. My mechanic did my first LOF and then my buddy and I did another change recently. When he went to the store for a filter he didn't know what size engine I had so he didn't buy one. Is it okay to wait till my next change to change the filter? Also, we were planning on only lubing the chassis about every third change, or 9k. Is that a problem?:confused: I am just starting out with cars and learning from scratch. Whatever advice you have would be a huge help. What else do you think I could do myself? Would it be a mistake to rotate my own tires, do air filters, etc.? Please help me and my poor car!!!

G_racer
03-19-2002, 01:55 AM
No, it's not good to wait to change it. it was pointless for you to change the oil because all the oil gets trapped and recycled through the oil filter. If you dont change the oil filter then it gets clogged up. If you go to the local autoparts store then just look up in the FRAM filterbook under Cavalier non Z24 and it will tell you the filter to get. ALWAYS change the filter with the oil.
P.S. Next time, try posting in the .:spit: CHEVY forum.

Add your comment to this topic!