Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

b16a2 turbo or supercharge? please help

SiRacer
01-17-2005, 05:13 PM
whats going on. lately ive been doing some research on supercharging or turbocharge my 2000 civic si with a b16a2 dohc vtec. (no mods) im either deciding between an apexi n1 catback or greddy evo2 catback either way (supercharged or turbo) but my question is this.. if i were to buy just a turbo kit (ie: greddy) and buy an inter cooler seperate, what else would i need ot make sure my engine doesn't blow or lose durability? blah blah. if i were to supercharge, what would i have to buy to get the same durability and yada yada. im a city/highway driver... a little drag with the friends in an empty lot here and there. i need all the info i can get from people who have done turbo or supercharge on this type of engine to find out success or F%*$ ups. thanks alot

Schister66
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
DISREGUARD

sivic02
01-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Before most of the guys get in here and start tellin you to go turbo id say get the supercharger as well. Its just a personal opinion but im a supercharger guy. Also I have a friend with a 00si whos putting down around 250hp with a jackson racing supercharger and a few other light mods so its not too crazy to be able to get some really good numbers out of them. And thats with a b16a too so you could probably get even more out of yours.

tomsindahizouse
01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
If you buy the greddy kit it will be everything you need to safely boost your engine. If you buy an Intercooler Kit, you can run more boost safely on your engine (or just be super safe with the same boost). Personally, since my car is a daily driver i would go with the greddy kit (if you go turbo) because they have tested and spent lots of money into making sure that the level of boost will be safe for your car. Im sure that somebody will reply with "I got the drag turbo kit and my car has had no problems for over two years", but this is my opinion. If you want to supercharge pretty much your options are more limited than if you were to turbo. Jackson racing and Vortech are the only two companies that I know of that make superchargers for the 99-00 Civic Si (correct me if im wrong), and i know that the vortech is really expensive, while the jackson racing supercharger is about the same price as the gredy turbo kit.

tomsindahizouse
01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Correct me if im wrong........

Schister66 said: "If you get a supercharger you get good all around power, and no blow off valve noise. The turbo is high end power and is more of a show-off way to go."

1. The Vortech Supercharger Kit has a blow off valve.

2. Superchargers do have some (not much) lag.

3. That STI which you reference with "Superchargers have no lag and with an after cooler, they look sweeeeeet. (pic under: Coffee Break(Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic > Autosport show 2005 (not 56K friendly) )" Has a turbo and a top mounted intercooler, and in no way has a supercharger, but please correct me if i am wrong Schister66.

sivic02
01-17-2005, 06:46 PM
It is a civic and it does have a supercharger.

SiRacer
01-17-2005, 06:55 PM
thanks alot for all your opinions. keep them coming. im not going to tell you what i want incase of bias opinions. i dont want supercharged and turboed cars fighting over whatever.. you have your reasons. keep them to yourself. thanks all

superbluecivicsi
01-17-2005, 08:25 PM
i personally think greddys kit is a waste of money. i personally also think SC vs turbo threads are well covered.

i boosted two separate b16a2s. one jrsc and the other custom turbo which took me two years to gather for parts. both tuned with hondata. i never really boosted either two when driving. i drove the jrsc a2 everyday for 4 years. i had the a2 turbo for two years and put bout 15,000 miles on it. in the end, i never really ever put either two in boost and needed a crv. sold the turbo a2 hatch to my lil bro, got a new down payment, and got me a beautiful crv with 2 baby seats in the back and dvd lcds installed, and i still get to drive the my old car.

why did i get rid of the turbo a2?--------> because i drove the jrsc everyday. i rarely go into boost with either car. the jrsc definately feels better in LA downtown traffic. i prefered the nice conservative ebp coupe over the stripped out primered ugly grey hatch with mismatched rims.

you want to boost the hell out of your 00 si and want all the power your motor can and cant handle, then go turbo. jrsc has been on my vehicle since 28,000 miles which was 4+ years ago. im at 120,000 now with great test results from compression and leakdown (i believe its in the tuning). Also remember, i didnt beat the hell out of my cars.

[qoute] Also I have a friend with a 00si whos putting down around 250hp with a jackson racing supercharger and a few other light mods so its not too crazy to be able to get some really good numbers out of them. And thats with a b16a too so you could probably get even more out of yours. [qoute]

id like to see that JRSC setup. i am more interested in his boost levels and intake temps. you know, the highest ive boosted with the jrsc was@12.5 psi. intake temps were outrageous, but, i didnt use any cooling methods though. i didnt bother and went back to just a stepper pulley. im happy there.

sivic02
01-17-2005, 10:04 PM
im not positive about the boost level but he did have an intercooler and the 250hp was after he was tuned. Ill try to remember to ask him how much boost next time im in town.

superbluecivicsi
01-17-2005, 11:06 PM
what type of cooling method was it?

sivic02
01-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Jackson racing intercooler

Schister66
01-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Correct me if im wrong........

Schister66 said: "If you get a supercharger you get good all around power, and no blow off valve noise. The turbo is high end power and is more of a show-off way to go."

1. The Vortech Supercharger Kit has a blow off valve.

2. Superchargers do have some (not much) lag.

3. That STI which you reference with "Superchargers have no lag and with an after cooler, they look sweeeeeet. (pic under: Coffee Break(Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic > Autosport show 2005 (not 56K friendly) )" Has a turbo and a top mounted intercooler, and in no way has a supercharger, but please correct me if i am wrong Schister66.

The car i referenced was a newer Si civic if you look at the post. The post says "For all you Honda boys, a 550BHP supercharged civic type-r engine" That is a Vortec Supercharger in that picture, not a turbo. If you even look at the post it even says that it is supercharged. Next time you try to correct someone, especially me, you should have a clue as to what you're talking about. And as to the lag, superchargers have way less lag than a turbo, and it wouldn't really be noticeable.

Schister66
01-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I had to go back to class and didn't finish my thought. That Civic has a belt driven Vortec supercharger in the pic and a water-to-air cooled aftercooler. Just look at the picture and find the belt on the left side of the pic. Did you even look at the site?? It has a huge red Honda insignia right on the picture. Look at things before you go off correcting what is already correct.

There i did correct you because you are wrong!

civickiller
01-20-2005, 06:28 PM
schister, u dont know what your talking about. turbo isnt a show off way to go. its the way you go if you want serious power.

as for a greddy kit vs a jrsc. if you only want around 230whp then go jrsc, it is also less maintenance then a turbo, i guess. but my friend did blow his si motor with a jrsc.

if you get the greddy kit then a intercooler, it would be recommended that you retune your car for the intercooler

Schister66
01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
You didn't really understand what i was trying to say, but as i read it again, i don't understand where i was going w/ that thought. Anyway everyone can pretty much disreguard that first post of mine. Sorry for the crappy post!

tomsindahizouse
01-20-2005, 09:36 PM
your link of that car that you tried to put in didnt work dumbass.

joebowlr21
01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
ok..............no you say with a jrsc an mods you can get to 250HP.........not very impressive.Let me tell you why, go take a look at Vortech's centrifgul supercharger kit for the 99 si.The bolt on kit was dyno'd at 276hp!Thats a 110% more power for the same price as a JRSC which only adds 60hp just bolted on.That is with the kit, now imagine tuning this some more and building the internals.

If you want to go superchargers, i would say vortech, plus it's smog legal!

Now if you want turbo, go with a hybrid t3/4 setup at 9psi with a front mountintercooler setup and hondata.

Schister66
01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
your link of that car that you tried to put in didnt work dumbass.

You better not be talking to me like that. If you follow that "link" like directions, you'll find it.

1. Go to Coffee Break
2.Go to Completely Off-Topic
3. Then search for the thread that says "Autosport show 2005 (not 56K friendly)" it should be about half way down the page.
4. Pat yourself on the back because you're now smarter than the carpet.

Inside there is the picture i was talking about. And one other thing...if the link i gave you didn't work, how did you know whether or not it was a turbo or a supercharger?

superbluecivicsi
01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Jackson racing intercooler

only application jackson intercooler came with was for the miata;) the rest uses a water injection method.

ok..............no you say with a jrsc an mods you can get to 250HP.........not very impressive.

actually, thats not bad for a b16a2 that is rated@160 bhp from the factory.

Let me tell you why, go take a look at Vortech's centrifgul supercharger kit for the 99 si.The bolt on kit was dyno'd at 276hp!Thats a 110% more power for the same price as a JRSC which only adds 60hp just bolted on.That is with the kit, now imagine tuning this some more and building the internals.

if you are arguing over a centrifugul SC vs a roots, the subject is well covered. the prices are both high for a brand new kit regardless, but, the vortech is higher. if you are wondering why, then do a google search. if you were to pick up a used kit for both, the prices are significantly different. both SCs are smog legal.

SC vs turbo................do a search.

'what'
01-21-2005, 06:23 PM
ok..............no you say with a jrsc an mods you can get to 250HP.........not very impressive.Let me tell you why, go take a look at Vortech's centrifgul supercharger kit for the 99 si.The bolt on kit was dyno'd at 276hp!Thats a 110% more power for the same price as a JRSC which only adds 60hp just bolted on.That is with the kit, now imagine tuning this some more and building the internals.

If you want to go superchargers, i would say vortech, plus it's smog legal!

Now if you want turbo, go with a hybrid t3/4 setup at 9psi with a front mountintercooler setup and hondata.

Hey dumbass! You should know by now that they bullshit you with the dyno so you could buy their product.
Since we're talking about a FWD a supercharger will not be as good as a turbo will be. With a turbo, you will sacrifice power on your first gear but from 2-6 will be getting full turbo boost.
With a supercharger, the wheels will overspin too much in first, which will cause spining in 2nd and in control in 3rd.
Thats my advice.

sivic02
01-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Hey dumbass! You should know by now that they bullshit you with the dyno so you could buy their product.
Since we're talking about a FWD a supercharger will not be as good as a turbo will be. With a turbo, you will sacrifice power on your first gear but from 2-6 will be getting full turbo boost.
With a supercharger, the wheels will overspin too much in first, which will cause spining in 2nd and in control in 3rd.
Thats my advice.

Why do people have to be soo mean? Name calling isnt going to convince someone that your right, it will just cause them to look down on you. The dynos that they show are a little biased because they will dyno cars in optimal conditions, but the dynos are real. Also, you wont spin the wheels too much if you just feather the clutch just right. Driving isnt about just mashing the gas and going, its an art.

Schister66
01-21-2005, 07:27 PM
:iagree:
Yeah, especially a newbie. Nobody should come on to this thread or any thread for that matter and start hurling insults at anyone for their opinions. If it continues, i'm sure one of the moderators will get involved...keep it clean and be mature! So far tomsindahouse and 'what' have been pretty immature and should clean it up.

tomsindahizouse
01-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Hey thanks for pointing that out for me :banghead:

BellyRing
03-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I'd do a SC if it were an everyday driver.

superbluecivicsi
03-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd do a SC if it were an everyday driver.

give it up to the noobs bringing up old threads.

at least their using the search function :iceslolan

BellyRing
03-26-2005, 03:37 PM
give it up to the noobs bringing up old threads.

at least their using the search function :iceslolanWell I'm far from a noob but this reply like this is one of the reasons alot of people don't like forums because theres no excuse for immature rude retorts just like the one you just gave me. Most people that ask this question usually don't have alot of knowledge to know what kind of proper maintainance of a turbo car.

superbluecivicsi
03-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Well I'm far from a noob but this reply like this is one of the reasons alot of people don't like forums because theres no excuse for immature rude retorts just like the one you just gave me. Most people that ask this question usually don't have alot of knowledge to know what kind of proper maintainance of a turbo car.

nope, i really dont know anything. sorry if i offended you. but,

[qoute] give it up to the noobs bringing up old threads. [qoute]

i just wanted to point out a weekly statistical fact :iceslolan

NOSAJ
03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Here's to newbs...but since I read the whole post
I'd boost it w/ Edelbrock http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sport_compact/index.html

BellyRing
03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Here's to newbs...but since I read the whole post
I'd boost it w/ Edelbrock http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sport_compact/index.htmlI heard that kit fits very well.

Add your comment to this topic!