Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

abs light on ovrdrive blinking spedo interimttant

ihavethkey
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I have a gooddie...my ABS light is on the speedometer works off and on and the overdrive light blinks off and on. The truck is a 2000 f250 super duty with only 33000 original miles on it (just bought it last week) the truck runs fine and there is no problem with the brakes. Any suggestions? :screwy:

yotermanic
01-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Without pulling abs codes, I can't swear to it, but it sounds like a rear speed sensor. Sometimes when those go out you get a lot of funky problems. Econolines are the worst about it but I've seen it in F-series trucks. Disconnect the sensor and do a resistance reading between the terminals. There's no set value for good and bad anymore, but if it's open it's definately bad. If it's only rear abs I would say that is definately your problem. The sensor is usually less than $20, and that's with our dealerships service mark-up. I just looked it up just for giggles and Ford's spec is 800-3500 ohms (kinda a broad range). By the way, in case you don't know the sensor is mounted on the top of the rear axle and goes through the housing.

ihavethkey
01-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply! I found the sensor buy how does the connector come off? It seems to just spin around........don't want to break something. I now have the check engine light on so I guess I'll have to go and get the codes pulled at Auto Zone. Will keep you advised! :iceslolan

ihavethkey
01-23-2005, 08:30 AM
YOU WERE RIGHT! I replaced the rear speed sensor and disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light and all systems are good to go! Thanks for your help! :smokin:

LeslieW
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM
My husband is having the exact same problem described here, except his check engine light has yet to come on, thank goodness. From the reading I've done (the skillful wife that I am), I'm gathering that the speed sensor on the rear differential needs replaced. (I don't even know what I just said.) But I'm having trouble finding it on a parts website. Can someone send me a link to the part I need or to a place with a more detailed how-to and here's-the-part? Anyone live near Hays, KS? Any help is appreciated!

yotermanic
06-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I live kinda near Hays, KS. At least I drive out that way a lot! If the speed sensor doesn't fix it, I'll look at it during pheasant season if you like!

Add your comment to this topic!