Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine dies when i put it in drive & reverse

farmsks
01-17-2005, 10:06 AM
i have a 89 gmc conversion van and the other day at a stop light the van just died without warning. It will start back up and run fine in park and neutral but the moment i stick it in drive or reverse it dies like someone turned off the switch. Please any suggestions would help it is my only vehicle and i am stumped.

SHAWNEXLEY
01-21-2005, 08:52 PM
check youre fuel filter you might have goten a chunk of rust in it only allowing enough fuel to keep it running

jsgold
02-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Many GM vehicles have problems with their transmission solenoid failing and causing this to happen. When the car/truck warms up the solenoid sticks causing the torque converter to not detach and engine stalls. will go again when cooled. Very common on front wheel drive GM's. I would think the same problem would apply here. Get a Haynes book (as I am not familair with your van) and see if you can read up on this. I may be way off base, but really sounds like it. On some cars you can simply unplug them and move on, with lower MPG, but on some you cannot. has to be repaired by a transmission shop. Anyone else out there have any thoughts on this????

sassee
03-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Strange!!!

I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my daughters Dodge Intrepid! It started dying at the lights or stop signs, now, it won't get out of the driveway. It cranks and runs fine, but as soon as I put it in gear, it dies! O.B.D. isn't telling me anything. I'm confident the torque convertor is locking-up when I put it in gear, but I just haven't found the reason yet.

SHAWNEXLEY
03-09-2005, 08:26 PM
again check fuel filter if it is pluged it will alow only enough fuel to let it run im not sure with dodge but it might have a fuel sock on the inlet tube for the fuel pump

amac209
03-17-2005, 09:45 PM
another common problem on dodge cars deposits in the throttle body. i bet the idle air motor passages are packed with crap.

tonysilvachico
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
o m effin' g !!!!! This an old post but the problem happens alot...............so.........I will post the solution..SPRAY SOME CARB CLEANER.....YES .....CARB CLEANER DOWN THE INTAKE SYSTEM BETWEEN THE AIR FILTER AND THE AIRFLOW SENSOR......
THEN DRIVE THE VEHICLE TO A PARTS STORE AND BUY A NEW AIRFLOW SENSOR

Add your comment to this topic!