Page updated on 05-25-2018

New Modeller - airbrushing help please!!

Lurchio
01-17-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi,

It seems that I am like many others here - was a keen modeller in my childhood and now taking it up again 15 years later with a great deal more enthusiasm (and financial aid!)

Been reading through this forum (excellent information!) and I apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I am really after some tips on spraying (particulalry airbrushing).

I have bought an airbrush and a few cans of propellant to get me started but just do not seem to be able to get a decent finish.
I always used to brush every part (apart from the bodies) but now I have a bit more cash would like to use an airbrush to give a much better finish/ detail etc.
I have no idea what to do with regards to paint preparation - do I think it etc?
At present I am only using Tamiya paints and have been told these should be thinned prior to use but 50/50? 7-/30 etc? I just have no idea. I have even bought books on the subject but they have been now help.
I am aware that there are other paint ranges available - what's the difference? Should I use these?

Please, any help you can pass on would be much appreciated - I am really striving to produce higher detail model kits (currently working on Tamiya Ferrari Enzo Corsa Rosso and really enjoying it but really want a spray finish on parts.

I look forward to any help anyone can give me

Thanks

Paul

Hiroboy
01-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Welcome to AF :wave:
What airbrush do you have ?

Propellant cans are useless and expensive so try and get a Compressor (do a search as these have been covered loads recently)

I spray Tamiya Paint from an Airbrush without thinning, but with a higher pressure, but can are only one pressure.

Bas Carwash
01-17-2005, 08:54 AM
I'll buy a compressor soon as well. It seems to be better then the propellant cans. Besides that it is cheaper in the end as well. But what's the best one to buy? I searched around, but it's hard to find any specific types or brands... What pressure in bar should I be looking for? What size should the tank more or less be? Advices pleazzz... :)

mickbench
01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
I too need a compressor, but it's the cost. The cans get you going when you are just starting out. I still use cans, but I hope to get a compressor soon.

I thinned my paints to be almost like milk (Tamiya) and this ranged from 10 paint to 1 thinner, and then sometimes, depending on how thick the paint was already I thinned 6 paint to 1 thinner.

Some will even say 3 paint and 1 thinner. I think there is no general rule to this, but I got one well with Tamiya and 6:1.

Sorry can't help anymore as I'm still learning to use a airbrush.

Lurchio
01-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the quick response - I will apologise to others, have just spent an hour with the search section and have found lots more info! (I can see why experienced users on here get frustrated with people like me!)

Thanks for the quick guide to thinning!

I have two airbrushes, one dirt cheap with a little pot underneath and paint mixes in nozzle, second is a lot more expensive with pot on top and paint mixes in barrel (I realise these aren't the best technical descriptions but this is all I know) - don't know the make of either as bought off ebay but the expensive one seems pretty good.

I guess I should buy a load of paint and just play!

Tempted to stick to auto spray cans for the moment for simplicity but really want the airbrush to work! Can't really get the flat colours in auto sprays

Vric
01-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I have two airbrushes, one dirt cheap with a little pot underneath and paint mixes in nozzle, second is a lot more expensive with pot on top and paint mixes in barrel (I realise these aren't the best technical descriptions but this is all I know) - don't know the make of either as bought off ebay but the expensive one seems pretty good.

could you show us a picture ? we would be able to tell you what airbrush you have.

sirvtec1600
01-17-2005, 10:16 AM
There is some information on thinning ratio in Tamiya's offical site,
http://www.tamiya.com/english/customer/cs_top.htm
http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/index.htm
but I find airbrushing require more surface finishing(sandpaper, polishing compound) than the spray cans.. hope to help u out! :loser:

Lurchio
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
could you show us a picture ? we would be able to tell you what airbrush you have.

I now have photos of both brushes - how do I show these on here?(sorry!)

Vric
01-17-2005, 10:56 AM
clic on the link Gallery of one of your post.
or here:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=288259

then, on the right, click Login (use the same name and password than you use here)

once loged, at the right, you will have Upload Picture. Use that :D

Lurchio
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
clic on the link Gallery of one of your post.
or here:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=288259

then, on the right, click Login (use the same name and password than you use here)

once loged, at the right, you will have Upload Picture. Use that :D

Both pictures are in my personal gallery now - how do I show them in a post? (sorry again!)

freakray
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Both pictures are in my personal gallery now - how do I show them in a post? (sorry again!)

Welcome Lurchio :)

You may wish to read through the car modelling FAQ my friend, there are several topics covered there including how to post pictures in a thread :)

Add your comment to this topic!