Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re. 05 Ram 4X4 Hemi. Buy the Extended Service Plan or not

Suprteck
01-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Just got my new Ram Hemi 4X4.

The truck comes with a 7yr 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty as you all know.
My truck is just a basic SLT the only upgrades were the Hemi motor, Limited Slip Rear End, and Tow Package.

Pretty basic other wise, power windows and locks but not power seats.
Plan on keeping it for about 7yr or 75,000 miles then get a new Dodge. Unless it turns out to be just an awesome dependable truck and gives me no reason to trade.

Im trying to decide if the extended warranty is needed and worth buying.
This is my first dodge and am not real familiar with dependability issues of this vehicle.

littlebit
01-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Just got my new Ram Hemi 4X4.

The truck comes with a 7yr 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty as you all know.
My truck is just a basic SLT the only upgrades were the Hemi motor, Limited Slip Rear End, and Tow Package.

Pretty basic other wise, power windows and locks but not power seats.
Plan on keeping it for about 7yr or 75,000 miles then get a new Dodge. Unless it turns out to be just an awesome dependable truck and gives me no reason to trade.

Im trying to decide if the extended warranty is needed and worth buying.
This is my first dodge and am not real familiar with dependability issues of this vehicle.

You don't have to buy it right now,If the dealership is trying to sell it to you they will rip you off.With the warranty that's on the truck,i'd just wait and see how many problems you are going to have with it before i bought it.I have a 96 ram 1500 quad cab and about 4 days after the warranty ran out the wiring harness burned and shorted out.It was put under the brake cable somehow when the truck was built,and every time i would use the brakes it would saw at the harness.**Just my input but you have a good warranty now to cover just about anything you need.

BleedDodge
01-18-2005, 11:58 AM
It couldn't hurt. You'll probably put on more than 70k in 7 years too, right?

Got any pics of that new truck yet?

fredjacksonsan
01-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Personally, I think the extra warranty is a big ripoff; you're paying $1200-$2000 and if you have a loan they're collecting interest on it, plus there's a deductible each time you use it (read the fine print). If you totally don't know what or how to do anything on the truck, then get it; but based on your posts I don't think that you need it. :)

The basic warranty is pretty good; if stuff hasn't broken by then, it probably won't be failing due to initial quality.

Suprteck
01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
It couldn't hurt. You'll probably put on more than 70k in 7 years too, right?

Got any pics of that new truck yet?

New digital camera will be here tues or wed next week.
I have to seriously wash it , its been wet , but Im realy enjoying this truck.

Hey do you or anyone else know about those covers you can put over the brakes to prevent the brake dust from getting all over the rims?
I think they are called "Clean Wheels" or something like that.

Sounds like a great idea but I was thinking wouldnt that keep the heat in and cause premature warping?

Any one have experience with this product or opinions?

fredjacksonsan
01-21-2005, 08:16 AM
I don't have any experience with "Clean Wheels" but I do know that several vehicles I've owned had a thin metal "shield" that bolted on between the wheel and the hub, which did keep the dust away from the wheel, and that it didn't seem to affect the ventilation.

2000mudder
01-21-2005, 10:10 AM
get some ceramic pads and you won't have the dust problem. you'll also stop better!!! they are worth the money!

Suprteck
01-21-2005, 01:58 PM
get some ceramic pads and you won't have the dust problem. you'll also stop better!!! they are worth the money!

i heard cetramic pads will warp the rotors???

If not then what is a great ceramic pad for the Ram?

HemiGottaLuvIt
01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Save your money. Don't bother with the 'extended warranty'. Hopefully, your new Ram will serve you as well as my Ram's have. My soon to be sold 98 has 73515 absolutely trouble free miles on it. It truly is the best vehicle I've owned to date and I've owned many. My new 04 Hemi has just 635 miles. I look forward to working this Hemi for a good long time!

Add your comment to this topic!