Page updated on 07-21-2018

Accord Coupe Gas Tank Range

spidre
01-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a 2000 Accord Coupe LX I4 LEV not (ULEV) and I get around 300-320 miles to the tank for city driving... is this normal? This is a 17 gallon tank... and the accord is rated at like like 20-23 miles per gallon... you guys thinks this average and not something wrong? Maybe the fuel I buy? Or maybe some part that could be going thats giving me bad gas mileage? What are common parts replaced to give better gas mileage, by the way my car is automatic and has 77K miles.

spidre
01-16-2005, 11:33 PM
No one?

andrewken
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Well, ACCORDing to my math, you are getting approx. 17 miles/gallon. If you are hitting the gas pedal hard, that will decrease gas mileage. If you car shifts at like 3000 rpms compared to 5500 rpms, you are obviously going to get a worse mile/gallon ratio. The rated amount is accelerating very slowly, shifting at low rpms and never smashing down the pedal.

spidre
01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Thats the problem, if i was doing that... then I wouldnt complain, but I am the softest accelerator/decelerator around... even soccer moms pass me at red lights accelerating. I am VERY soft footed and dont punch it.

SenseiAccord
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
just think... u never ran ur car till u ran out of gas right? id say u get 320 miles off of 15 gallons instead of the full 17. meaning u run it to near empty which could be 2 gallons left or so. best way u can do is fill up ur tank and reset the trip. run ur car to maybe about half tank or 1/4 tank or whatever and then fill it up ur tank again. write down ur trip mileage and look on the pump to see how much gas went in and then divide those numbers to see ur true mpg.

anyway yea i have I/H/E, msd, plat. plugs, ebay plug wires and a test pipe and i get 32 mpg. i almost get 500 miles per tank-full but i dont wanna risk that and end up stalling on the side of the road with no gas. it would be embarrassing for me cuz i work at a gas station haha. anyway yea... just dont do that otherwise u are gonna suck up crap at the bottom of ur tank and clog the filter and maybe clog the injectors and then all kaos will happen

spidre
01-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Well yeah 21mpg is not too bad but its at the low end.. 21mpg for a 4 banger seems low...

spidre
01-17-2005, 04:10 PM
whats an i/h/e/, msd and a test pipe? what model do you have?

Igovert500
01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I/h/e is intake/header/exhaust, msd is an upgraded ignition, and a test pipe is a free-flowing pipe that replaces the catilytic converter...these are aftermaket modifications he has done to his car to make it faster. A side-effect of these modifications is slightly improved gas-mileage...but they aren't really relevant to your problem.

As far as simple solutions to improve gas mileage...have you had your plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and tire pressure checked recently?
Do you do alot of city driving?
Also, as was somewhat mentioned above, the fuel light on the dash typically comes on when you still have 2 or 3 gallons of gas in the tank...so going by that, or by the 'E' on your gas gauge isn't exactly accurate...so in calculating mpg, you should use the method mentioned above for a slightly more accurate number.
I hope something in here helps.

spidre
01-18-2005, 01:39 AM
a 2000 accord doesnt have a fuel filter except for the one in the gas tank... air filter makes a big difference? mine seems pretty clean... i check my pressure regularly and i changed my spark plugs not too long ago

92lx
01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
air filter does if it's DISGUISTING....but it's likely not that bad. Reset your odometer next time you fill up, drive around till you fill up again, when you do devide the miles you traveled by the number of gallons put in to get a pretty accurate estimate of MPG.

- Nathan

swipter
01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
You can't judge an air filter be looking at it. They are cheap enough. If you don't know when you replaced it, replace it.

SenseiAccord
01-19-2005, 12:41 AM
...Reset your odometer next time you fill up, drive around till you fill up again, when you do devide the miles you traveled by the number of gallons put in to get a pretty accurate estimate of MPG.

- Nathan

HEY PUNK! i just said that in my post! hahaha nah nah im j/p witchu man.

civicblumagik021
01-20-2005, 07:16 PM
i have a 2001 accord and i have the same problem so i just drive my civic... i have an accord LX V-tec ULEV they still guzzle gas but those accords have different amounts of hp when they are stock, meaning u can have a completely stock accord with 325hp. they are weird...

Add your comment to this topic!