Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

please help - doors will not open

newfound
01-15-2005, 05:11 PM
It has been below zero weather for about 36 hours now and my 95 camry worked fine yesterday morning, but when I tried to open it later that day with the remote it made a clicking noise like the lock was opening but remained locked - the red alarm light inside also started flashing much faster than it usually does. When I pressed the button again, nothing happened, and when I tried to open it by putting the key into the door, it didn't turn on either side, and not even the trunk would open. I have now tried a variety of heating devices and de-icer fluid, and the key will turn maybe 5 degrees but that's all. When I press the button on the remote nothing happens at all. I have a feeling it went into some sort of system lockdown or something but I didn't know that was possible! Does anyone have an idea as to what would be going on?

spaceshuttle
01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Newfound,

You may want to try getting a can of Gumout or WD-40 and spraying that into your lock. Use the small red straw that connects to the nozzle to push back the lock cover and spray into the lock for a few seconds. Take your KEY and try to unlock the door, and if it doesn't work, do it again for a few more seconds.

I had the same problem with my '90 Camry LE, except I don't have the remote keyless entry or security system. I'm not sure about the technical reasons why the locks stick, but it might have something to do with dirt or moisture inside of the door. I've found that taking the car out for a spin for around 30 minutes with the heater on (at least once a day) helps keep the locks from getting too cold.

-Billy

Add your comment to this topic!