Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pulled a 'Homer' ! (Simpson that is!)

Alaiyo
01-15-2005, 11:45 AM
90' Camry Wagon, 2.0L 3S FE

I confess!!!
I got so busy, I failed to check my antifreeze level. I discovered this after I tried to turn the heat on while driving; cold air comes out. A few minutes later the 'check engine' light comes on & I notice the engine temp gauge reading all the way hot. As soon as I pull into a gas station the car stops, and won't start. I discover empty coolant resevoir, and fill with proper mixture of coolant & water. After letting engine cool for sometime, it still took me an hour to get home, starting and stopping, because engine light would come on and car would die.

Next morning, after car sat at leasts 8 hrs in below 0 temp outside, I'm thinking everything's cool. I try to start and drive, I get about 3 miles, temp gauge reads hot off the scale, engine light back on. Looked under hood and car, notice antifreeze leaking from somewhere below, not a whole lot, but enough.

What have I screwed up? Neighbor says thermostat.

New to site, but you guys seem to be squared awayed, so I joined in hopeful confidence!

PS happy new year!

Brian R.
01-15-2005, 02:43 PM
When the car is cool, fill the radiator and reservoir with coolant and leave the radiator cap off. Start the engine and let it idle. Keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge. Once the thermostat opens, the radiator coolant level will drop. Keep filling the radiator with coolant mixture until the engine reached operating temperature (cooling fan has come on at least twice) and cap the radiator. If you never get circulation and the engine overheats, it is a bad thermostat.

Now, if you've been able to fill your engine with coolant your car may not overheat, but you have to find the coolant leak. It could be from many places, but I bet you have a bad head gasket or warped head. In this case, the leak will be from the point at which the engine block mates to the cylinder head. See if you have gases blowing into your coolant reservoir and see if you are getting oil contamination (change in oil color or appearance to milky or foggy). These are both signs of the problem I stated. In any event, you have to fix the coolant leak. If the oil changes appearance, make sure you remember to change the oil and filter once you have solved the head gasket problem.

Add your comment to this topic!