Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

malibu or impala?

lemonowner
01-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I just bought a new Impala base model. I'm wondering if maybe I should have gone with the 05 malibu instead to save a few bucks... I've heard that the new malibu is a drastic improvement over older malibu models.

wpbharry
01-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Other than the engine, I think you made the safer choice. True, my '04 Maxx is a drastic improvement over my former '98 Malibu LS, but there are still some bugs (though not nearly as many as in the previous generation) being worked out that carried over to the '05 Malibu. Fuel tank issues in particular.

I'm assuming you have the 3400 V-6. The 3500 is a highly reworked version of yours, and I'd expect not to have problems like the intake manifold gaskets, that are symptomatic of yours (at least through the '03 model year). The 3500 is much quieter and more powerful as well. It's going to be the base engine in the restyled '06 Impala. (Don't feel bad; looks like the '06 Malibu will get some "beauty dust", so mine will be changing too).

Overall reliability on the Impala is superior to the Malibu, but that's based primarily on the lousy '97-'03s. Resale value should be a tad higher, but I do think the Impala (and to a lesser extent, Malibu) are overpriced. That is, before rebates.

I'm happy with mine so far.

Add your comment to this topic!