Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine detailing

cruzzz
01-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi there all,

I've got (as always ;) ) a newbie question.

I'm not writing much on forum, because I didn't finish any model for a long time, and now it's time to change it. I'm doing Tamiya Lotus Super Seven and I would like to do some modifications. One of them is engine detailing, some wires etc.
I know you all are bored from those stupid questions, but I prefer to ask first then do something wrong and not be pleased with effects of my work.

So this is my problem:

I found some nice reference pics of engine bay of Super Seven (thanks for great thread with reference links :) ). There are lot of wiries to add. I will do the wires from spark plugs for sure (sorry, but I don't know how they are called in English :) ). But there are many others. The problem is, I don't how to do it with no damage of completed engine. Is it better to do all the holes for wires etc. before completing and painting all the engine parts or do it after I'll glue and paint all the parts? I'm worried I'll destroy something while glueing wires or drilling holes (I'm worried especially about the paint). I don't have much expierence with modifications like that, but I'm sure I want try it :) . Some of wires are going from engine to oder places in engine bay. You can add them only after all the engine bay is completed. And when it is completed it is painted too. So I can destroy something easilly by adding wires... And so on...

I'm sorry, my English is bad, I hope you'll know what I mean and what my problem is ;) . Is there any tip for it or only "be careful"? ;) .

I know this thread sucks, but as I said: I prefer ask first then destroy my model ;) .

Greetings and sorry for my "newbieness" :lol:

tonioseven
01-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I usually drill the holes before any painting is done. Your English is fine. Your thread is fine:) Everybody is a newbie at something!

RallyRaider
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
For me the wiring must come last. You do have to be careful of overhandling the parts and maybe damaging them, escecially if you are using "soft" paints like aqueous acrylics. As Tonio said, drill gide holes before painting but you often need to re-do them if they fill with paint and become too narrow.

In english spark plugs are called spark plugs! :D

spidereddie
01-14-2005, 07:18 PM
if I'm not too worried about the hole itself, I usually take a white hot needle (they have different gauges) from a fire and use it to make a tiny hole for wires.

cruzzz
01-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks all for your advice. So I should be careful ;) that won't be easy ;)

RallyRaider I mean cables from the spark plugs, in Polish they are called "high voltage cables", but yeah whatever ;) .

RallyRaider
01-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Okay sorry for the misunderstanding Kuba. I've always called them high tension or HT leads.

primera man
01-16-2005, 01:34 AM
Drill all your holes first then paint. The last thing you need to do is add the wiring

Scale-Master
01-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Drill all the holes before painting, I drill each part as I am cleaning it up or making it.
Wire at the latest point you can during assembly to avoid damage, re gluing wires can make it look messy.
For the wires that connect from the engine to elsewhere in the car, attach the end to the engine and leave extra wire, more than you think you will need hanging free. Be sure to try to route the wires where you want them to go as you install the engine. After the engine is secured, cut and attach the other ends of the wires. - Mark

willimo
01-16-2005, 07:28 PM
This how to (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260776) doesn't call out when painting is done, but you can tell if you look at the photos carefully. Basically, like they said, drill the holes first, paint, then glue the wires.

cruzzz
01-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks all once more time, Willimo your how to is great, thank you very much :). BTW your Super 7 is great too, it was my inspiration to build mine. I hope you won't by angry if I "stole" your cycle fenders idea ;) . Stock fenders are awful...

Add your comment to this topic!