Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiper, door locks and seat don't work help please.

njdjh2o
01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I am new to the Thurderbird family. I just purchase 1993 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L V-6 w/116617 miles at an auction for $450.00. Didn't have any keys to it and I had to purchase a new ignition switch. I replace it and to my surprise it is a perfect running car. Very happy person.

But the problem I having is that I can't get the wiper, door locks and driver side power seat to work. I check all the fuse and they are in good condition.

Do anybody have a fix for this.

Thanks!

97Bird
01-14-2005, 11:29 PM
For a 97 Bird the power seats and door locks are on the same fuse so I question whether your fuse is really ok or not. I'll assume it is and the pass side power seat works so you know you have power to that circuit. Make sure the connections at the switch and motors are clean and tight. If it still doesn't move, unplug the connector at the switches. With a voltmeter or a 12V test light connected to ground with one lead and the other lead cconnected to each of the wires in the harness connector (one at a time), you should read 12V or the light turn on when you find the main power feed to the switch. If you don't have 12V on one of these wires then you have problems in the harness wiring. Once you verify you have power to the switches, reconnect the switches and unplug the harness at the motor assembly. With the voltmeter or test light still connected to ground connect the other lead to each of the six wires (one at a time) in the harness connector and move each of the switches (again, one at a time) in one direction or the other. I don't have a schematic for your year car so I can only tell you to check each of the six wires (for six way seat) seperately and to operate all of the switches when testing each wire. If you don't get 12V at each wire during some part of the test then the switch is bad and if you do then the motors are bad. Ask at your local library for a Mitchell electrical manual for your year car and you can photocopy the pages of the circuits you are having problems with. It's getting late so that's all I can advise you with tonight. Double check your fuses with a voltmeter or test light and let me know if they are ok.

njdjh2o
01-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I was trying to avoided all of that testing pulling testing and pulling job. I was fishing to see if anybody else had the same problem an point me in a good direction. Well, let me pull out the handle voltmeter and get to testing.

Thanks

97Bird
01-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, if you didn't want to take the time to troubleshoot the problem you could have just replaced everything.

njdjh2o
01-16-2005, 06:38 PM
I found the problem, whew. It was a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment. An for some reason somebody unplug the wipe motor. That was a simple plug and play problem.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!