Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Misc. 94 4 Cyl Camry questions.

ice745
01-14-2005, 09:06 AM
As the subject states, I have a 1994 4 cyl toyota camry. I just put a new sound system in it. I have a 550 watt RMS Alpine amp powering 2 12" Alpine subs, and a 275 Watt RMS Alpine amp powering my speakers. I am not sure how powerful the stock alternator in this car is and if it will be able to handle it on long distances. Does anyone know how much
amp(ere)s the alternator can handle?

Next, I also have noticed an occasional sound from around my front drivers side wheel area. Occasionally a higher pitch almost screamy sound comes and gets louder along with RPMs. I have the normal low pitch hum from the revs, but its like an additional high pitch rev from that area. I figured if it was a loose belt I'd hear it on the other side. I put the car in neutral and tried to hear it as my friend pumped the gas a bit, but the sound stopped. I didn't hear the sound anymore for about a week. Then it started again about a week later, but went away within 15 minutes. I am not too concerned about it since it is only an occasional sound, but I just wanted to confirm, should I be concerned with this at all?

ice745
02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
The alternator will either be 70 or 80 amperes, and can handle that system for about a year fine, then your battery will die, and then you'll put an Optima Yellowtop battery in, and everything will work fine again, and you're gas mileage will go back up too. Also a capacitor will help a lot with stabalizing the voltage during bass hits.

You'll never figure out what that sound was, but it will eventually go away on its own, so who cares?

By the way, those two 12" Alpine subs will fall apart, the spider will come dislodged from the cage, and the wires will rip off the terminals as a result of the spider moving. Then you'll tie the spider back down with metal wire for picture hanging, and resolder the wires, and they'll sound fine again, but you'll eventually get rid of the Alpine and get Infinity Kappa 12.1's and they'll sound better too.

If only I could tell myself all that a year ago... :-/

Add your comment to this topic!