Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil change 1997 blazer

j_goerges
01-14-2005, 01:47 AM
I am changing my oil for the first time in my 1997 blazer 4x4 and want a general walk through. I know where my oil filter is, but i am not sure where i drain the oil from.. Could someone help me out?

crazys182003
01-14-2005, 06:44 AM
If a 97 is like a 92 my oil drain plug is underneath on the drivers side. I have an opening in my skid plate that has the plug right in the middle of it. If I remember right it is a 9/16" If I am wrong someone will correct me. What you do is first open your drain plug and let all the oil run out. then go to your oil filter (which is like a can in a shape). If you have a remotely mounted filter it will be on the passengers side right up front under the hood. If you do not have that it will be attached to your block somewhere (sorry not sure due to I got the remote mount). When you pull off the filter it will leak oil when it comes loose so have a rag handy so it doesn't get all greasy and hard to continue unturning. Than if all you are doing is a drain and fill put your new filter back on put the drain plug back in and fill it to your liking. Mine usually takes around 4.5 quarts. I believe some will take a little less.

Make note to not use a fram filter. they have been discussed numerous times on this forum as to how crappy they are.

blazee
01-14-2005, 07:34 AM
The oil drain plug is in the oil pan. I believe it is actually a 15mm, but a lot of metric and SAE will interchange. As far as the brand of oil filter, crazys182003 is right Fram filters are junk. I recommend the NAPA Gold filters they are made by WIX, a well known company, to NAPA's strict specifications. You may also want to install a Fram SURE DRAIN plug, it makes changing oil a lot cleaner and easier, instead of pulling the plug and having oil go all over your hand and splashing in the driveway you just screw a hose onto it and the oil drains out the hose. (you don't have to worry about stripping out your oil plug either.) they are about $13.

Add your comment to this topic!