Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problem

catfishunter
01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a 1990 sedan deville 4.5;my problem is when i turn the key nothing;dash lights come on like normal. There seems that there is no surge in power no dimming on the lights;All i know is the battery is good.NO clicking just silence like there is no starter. Should i take the starter off and have it tested.I wanted to replace the positive cable but none of the stores have it. MIKE

VitalLife
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas?

hyarnell1
02-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Sounds like a Passkey issue. The pellet in the key is supposed to trigger the Passkey security circuit to allow starting of the vehicle. If it doesn't sense the pellet (nothing more than a resistor), then it disables the starter and ignition. I have heard of the wires in the steering column that connect the contacts for the pellet get brittle and break. Could be.

MarkC
02-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Could be a bad starter solenoid or battery cable to the starter.

M.A.C
02-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Remove the negative and positive battery cables. Remove all corrosion on the battery possitive cable. If it has a removable plastic sleave, remove it, and clean any corrosion. If the battery is OK, this may eliminate the problem. Make sure the negative cable is grounded properly.

Add your comment to this topic!