1993 Sunbird starter change

Greenerairbus
01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Hello all.

I'm going to try and change my son's starter motor as it is just either "freezing" or it is not engaging.

Any helpfull clues or is this one a pain to get at.

Cheers.

2.0L OHC Standard tranny

GTP Dad
01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
It is ok to change the starter but you may save some money just replacing the starter solenoid. If the starter is not engaging and is just spinning freely when you turn the key it is probably a bad solenoid. If you want to replace the starter just so you don't have to do the job later then it is just the removal of a couple of bolts that connect the starter to the engine and then remove the starter. Remove the wires and reinstall in reverse. Just make sure that the wires are reconnected in their proper locations. The starter is somewhat heavy so be careful lowering it from the car. Good Luck!

Greenerairbus
01-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the note...

It ended up being the starter and I tried this weekend and gave up as the starter is way up under the exhaust manifold and way too much effort at -15 degrees! So the local mechanic switched it out in 2 hours.

It started like a charm.

Thanks again for the advice!

Cheers

GTP Dad
01-17-2005, 07:43 PM
They always go out when the temp drops below zero. They never go bad when the temp is 70 degrees.

Add your comment to this topic!