Bypassing ONSTAR to put a headunit in 01 yukon...

NickF829
01-13-2005, 04:47 PM
ok so i want to put a new stereo in my yukon.. and i went to the audio shop and they're telling me its 180$ for the thing that plugs in to allow the use of onstar and a aftermarket cd player... wtf... i've got an 01 slt... I DO NOT HAVE THE BOSE SYSTEM, BUT I DO HAVE FACTORY AMP AND SUB... NO BOSE LABELS ANYWHERE IN VEHICLE, i just have the cd player, factory sub and onstar... what part do i need and where can i buy it from reasonbly?

thanks for the help, im sure plenty of yall have done this already

nali02
01-13-2005, 06:29 PM
if you are wanting to keep your onstar then you will need an onstar interface. there are many options actually as far as which one to choose, the more expensive interfaces use existing speakers throughout your vehicle as the cheaper ones use their own external speaker (kinda tacky if you ask me). either way here are some on ebay... http://search.ebay.com/onstar-interface_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

now if you are wanting to bypass your onstar and not even worry about it then just go to your local stereo shop and get a normal wiring harness and not even worry about it. i myself didnt really need my onstar so i didnt worry about the interface and just installed my head unit normally.

YukonGMC
04-18-2005, 08:02 AM
If you have the Premium system with amp/sub you will have to bypass the amp ( under glove box ) to even get sound out of your speakers. I tried an interface to get my sub back and it sounded like shiat. I just went back to factory radio. Sounds good to me and all of the factory stuff now works again.

NickF829
04-18-2005, 03:28 PM
thanks for bringing this back.. so i decided to goto the shop and get what they were telling me i needed... well i've been back 4 times with still the wrong parts

first they sold me a 24pin onstar module.. well the 24pin didnt come out until 2002, i have a 2001

then they sold me a 21pin module by itself, which when coupled with factory amplifier(delco, but not bose, at least its not advertised as that anywhere in my truck?) didn't work either

so then they sold me what they promised was the right addition to the 21pin dealie they just sold me, which turned out to be a 12pin 88-94 factory amp signal converter... way wrong, i needed the 21pin as they already knew

now, for the fourth time, i got pissed off with them, told them the exact part i needed, the 21pin signal converter, so they told me to cutout the 3rd part they sold me, bring it back in, they had a piece to replace it all... well this sounded to good to be true, so i drove out there, gave them a shreded up wiring harness that had already been installed and they give me this signal converter, it doesn't allow for use of the onstar and it doesn't work either, well pissed off i called back, only to find out everyone was to busy to talk to me, so F them

anybody know exactly what i need to hook up a stereo in my truck? i bought a expensive tv and i am not going to return it, i know im not the only person in 5 model years to install a headunit in a 01 yukon slt with my options in it... HELP PLEASE

YukonGMC
04-18-2005, 04:47 PM
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/

http://www.soundgate.com/

You can check these out. I do believe if you ever want a decent sounding sub after pulling factory radio, you will have to run a seperate amp/sub. Another $400 plus. I like my factory radio back just fine. 2001 Yukon XL, Premium Sound System ( non Bose ). I think my system is a 9 pin.

NickF829
04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
peripheral is what this place keeps selling me... i already have an aftermarket amp and sub, but what i'm more concerned about is just getting the factory speakers to play whats coming from my headunit... i am not settling for "sticking with stock" i already put this much time and hassle into it, not to mention 2500$ worth of stereo crap so far, i just want to get it right... anyone able to help? anyone have info on exactly what they used in there 01?

YukonGMC
04-18-2005, 04:57 PM
You're going to have to bypass the factory amp (under glove box ) with 4 speaker wires off your harness, for front/rear speakers. I didn't do the work only watched.

ponchonutty
04-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I use this.... http://www.metraonline.com/product.aspx?sku=70-2006

You can look up the other stuff on metra's site. That should be exactly what will work for you.

Personally, many times I just manually bypass the factory amp without those harnesses but I don't recomend it unless you are real well familiar with car electronics.

YukonGMC
04-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Nick, did you get it figured out ?

If not, those folks at Peripheal, Pacific, Metra, etc., although they may not sell to the public, will answer your questions and tell you which interface you need. Try that. Then tell the shop what to order.

NickF829
04-22-2005, 08:02 PM
thanks for the help everyone, i went to a third audio shop today and they said i was right the first time with the GMOS1 and the GM21a converter, but at the audio shop i've been to 5 times they said it was wrong, so i'm goin back tommorow to get the right one and will post an update, hopefully saying it's working finally! thanks everyone for the help, now, if i could just reset that dumb "change oil" light hahaha i tried stompin the gas 3 times quick while key is in "on" and that didn't work...any help?

Add your comment to this topic!