99 Tahoe Low Front End. HELP??

kerspse
01-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I have a 1999 Tahoe 4dr 4wd, the old style version but it's got a lower front end than any other Tahoe or Yukon that I've Parked next to. I believe the back end is ok, but the front end, sits lower than others and it doesn't affect ride at all and i know there is no drop kit on it. Dead Shocks? But it's not bouncy. Dead Stabilizers? who knows. help help help help

Ps- It sits about 2" lower than others. Looks as if someone put like 2wd shocks and struts on a 4wd TAHOE.

andjh123
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Maybe the torsion bars have begun to relax and sag the suspension? Just get under there and tighten up the bolts to see how much you can raise it back up. It'll only take a few minutes so it's worth a try...and you can jack up the front end by the frame (not lower control arms) to make it easier to crank on those bolts.

kerspse
01-18-2005, 09:00 AM
hey andjh123 you're right! The torsion bars sagged a lot, and that was what caused the front end to be low. I crank that baby all the way up, leaving about a 1" gap on the bolt on each side. I raise my TAHOE a full 1.5". By the summer time, I'll torque it all the way to give it a full boost to at least another 1" or so. Thank You very much for the quick info, NEVER KNEW CHEVY ARE LIKE THAT.

My buddy's got a 99 YUKON, and his torsion bars the adjusting screws are all the way in, with little or no gaps. Makes the front end look taller, while having a better front end clearance.

Sivart
01-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Make sure that you get it aligned after adjusting those torsion bars. It WILL changes your settings and the tires will wear.

AaronHurd
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
what bolt are you referring to. I replaced my front shocks because one side (driver)was sagging a bit. I replaced the shocks and the problem remained the same not quiet as bad but still not right! If you could point me to the bolts I'm sure that this is the problem. I have an 02 5.3 2WD.
Thanks

andjh123
01-25-2005, 09:51 PM
If you follow the torsion bars from the control arms back toward the rear of the truck, they end in a sort of frame crossmember located appx. under the front seats. The bolts are in the bottom of this crossmember. At least this is the case in the old '98 style, i've never really looked under a newer model in detail.

AaronHurd
01-26-2005, 01:04 PM
If you follow the torsion bars from the control arms back toward the rear of the truck, they end in a sort of frame crossmember located appx. under the front seats. The bolts are in the bottom of this crossmember. At least this is the case in the old '98 style, i've never really looked under a newer model in detail.

I know exactly what bolt your talking about!!!!!
Thanks Aaron

sprucegoose
01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
kerspse,

I am surprised that there was that much "sag" or adjustment needed on your truck. I guess I am wondering, was there ever a plow used on it? I know that extra weight for sure would be one thing that would stretch/twist those torsion bars...

I noted that my Hoe's rear springs have a slight sag in them from years of trailering and hauling wood in the back. I hate to lose any ride height, but I guess I could drop the front slightly to minimize the difference there.

Add your comment to this topic!