Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil change calculator

the blur
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I've been using the built in engine oil life calculator to tell me when I should change the oil. normally I would do 3000 miles like my other cars, but this oil life monitor lets me go about 6000-7000 miles !!

could this thing possibly be right ??? I do mostly city driving, and if I do a long trip, I'm using tow haul mode towing my 5000lb race car.

so I don't know weather or not I should trust the GM engineering for changing my oil.....
I've been using synthetic, so I'm not worried about the 6000 mile interval, but I certainly would not be doing this if I was using dino oil.

what do you guys do with this oil life monitor???

tonytone
01-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I've been using the built in engine oil life calculator to tell me when I should change the oil. normally I would do 3000 miles like my other cars, but this oil life monitor lets me go about 6000-7000 miles !!

could this thing possibly be right ??? I do mostly city driving, and if I do a long trip, I'm using tow haul mode towing my 5000lb race car.

so I don't know weather or not I should trust the GM engineering for changing my oil.....
I've been using synthetic, so I'm not worried about the 6000 mile interval, but I certainly would not be doing this if I was using dino oil.

what do you guys do with this oil life monitor???
Personally, I change my oil every 5K miles...which may or may not be overkill if I were to go by what the oil life calculator on my truck indicates. If one were to believe the GM document that explains the oil life calculator, then there shouldn't be any worries from following its recommendation. IIRC GM does state that you should change the oil at most yearly even if the indicator says you still have some time left before needing to do so.

bennybenster
01-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I also go 5k for oil changes and I use Mobil 1 synthetic. Then I just reset my oil change indicator. So I really never see the oil change light go on.

transgta
01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
The change oil light monitors engine revolutions not mileage i also use mobil 1 have 4 years always go at least 6000 miles. One thing you can do is change filter at 3000 miles and add a quart.

tonytone
01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I just changed the oil/filter (I use Mobil1 syn oil and Mobil1 oil filter) on my truck at a smidge under 15K miles (changed roughly 5K after the last one), and the oil life indicator showed I still had 40% left. Yes I know the calculator doesn't go by miles, but the fact that I still had 40% left after 5K miles of driving shows that I could easily and safely squeeze another 2500 miles before the "change engine oil" indicator comes on.

GMCTech
01-14-2005, 09:28 PM
The "new" second generation oil life system - (2003 - up) uses 15 different parameters to determine oil life.

Some of the parameters are start-up temp, warm up time, average speeds of engine and vehicle, trip distance, etc.

GM says it is perfectly fine to wait until that light turns on. They have even made a little flyer for the garages to hand the customer explaining how the system works.

We handed out exactly 0 (ZERO) of these little pamphlets. The little piece of propaganda does not let the customer know that all the grease fittings in the vehicle still need attention. It is a major point that GM missed completely.

We still make out our little window reminders for 3000 miles, and if customers ask about the system then we explain it fully, and remind them that the system does not monitor ball joint condition or inner tie rod grease content.

I recommend 5000 at most between services of vehicles with any grease fittings. The Envoy, well it can go to the light if you want it to, but I have seen them go 15000 before the magic light appears, and that scares the @#&? out of me.

Hope this helps.

Chriznat20@msn.com
01-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Please go to www.bobistheoilguy.com
go to the forums section.
Depending on the GM OLM really goes back on what kind of oil you are using. If you are using Mobil 1 full synthetic, you might be ok going 7-8k miles.
If you are using oil dino oil, non-synthetic, you are nuts. I would go to the web site I gave you above, wait 7-8k miles and get an UOA (used engine oil analysis) this determines the wear metals in your oil from using it too long/short, the life of the additives and oil, etc...
My 2002 Envoy has the driver info center. When it gets to 50%, which is usually around 4,000 miles, I change my oil. However, the Envoy has a 7qt oil capacity so theres more oil, hence less oil breakdown. i use a semi-syn.

the blur
01-14-2005, 10:57 PM
GM says it is perfectly fine to wait until that light turns on. They have even made a little flyer for the garages to hand the customer explaining how the system works.

We handed out exactly 0 (ZERO) of these little pamphlets. The little piece of propaganda does not let the customer know that all the grease fittings in the vehicle still need attention. It is a major point that GM missed completely. We still make out our little window reminders for 3000 miles, .

that's because the dealer still wants to make oil change money :grinyes: :grinyes:

I've been running it to the light, and slightly beyond. but that's because I'm running full synthetic. hopefully the GM engineers did their homework ??? I'm buying the GMPP entended warrenty :icon16:
that's my insurance policy !!

tonytone
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
...However, the Envoy has a 7qt oil capacity so theres more oil, hence less oil breakdown. i use a semi-syn.
Dayum--7 quart capacity???? Holy cow--my DXL has but only a 6-qt capacity...

Anyone know why the Envoy (with the largest engine size that is available being a 5.3L) has such a larger oil capacity when the Denali--with its 6-liter engine--has a relatively smaller capacity?

transgta
01-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I dont know why but i had an oldsmobile aurora 4.0 litre that held 8 quarts blew my mind

Chriznat20@msn.com
01-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah I was a litttttttlllle surprised too the first time I changed the oil. Before I went to the store to buy my oil, I checked the owners manual and it said 7qts crankcase capacity. I thought there was a misprint, I called the dealer...LOL

Y2K996
01-19-2005, 05:58 PM
:grinno: 7 quarts is nothing. My 3.4L 2000 911 cam from the factory with ten (10) quarts of Mobil 1 in the crankcase. The dealer wants $400 for a lube-oil-filter and inspection. :eek2:

tonytone
01-20-2005, 01:37 PM
:grinno: 7 quarts is nothing. My 3.4L 2000 911 cam from the factory with ten (10) quarts of Mobil 1 in the crankcase. The dealer wants $400 for a lube-oil-filter and inspection. :eek2:
Well isn't the reason for the large capacity due in part--if not entirely--because your 911 is probably air/oil-cooled? I mean, weren't 911's for a long time--if not still on most 911 models--air/oil-cooled beasts?

Y2K996
01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Since 1999 all 911's are water-cooled. It is true that the air-cooled models had a large oil capacity for increased engine cooling along with multiple storage tanks and scavenger pumps. In the past you needed to drain the oil from three separate locations, not just the oil pan. I believe the record for Porsche is eleven scavenger pumps in one engine.

KRS62
01-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Personally, I change my oil every 5K miles...which may or may not be overkill if I were to go by what the oil life calculator on my truck indicates. If one were to believe the GM document that explains the oil life calculator, then there shouldn't be any worries from following its recommendation. IIRC GM does state that you should change the oil at most yearly even if the indicator says you still have some time left before needing to do so.

How do you reset the message? It is driving me crazy, but I always forget to research it in the manual or internet.

thanks,

KRS

tonytone
01-26-2005, 12:53 PM
The manual describes two ways to do it:

First method (not preferred if you have the DIC and steering wheel controls--see second method):
--Turn ignition key to RUN w/ engine off;
--Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds; if the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10 seconds, the system is resetting;
--Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset; repeat above.

Second method:
--Press the "fuel" button on the steering wheel until you reach the ENGINE OIL LIFE screen on the DIC
--Once you reach this screen, press and hold the select button (the upper right button on the steering wheel) for five seconds while ENGINE OIL LIFE is displayed. OIL LIFE RESET will appear on the display for 10 seconds to let you know the system is reset. Note--IIRC I think the DIC may briefly display CHANGE ENGINE OIL right after you've completed the reset procedure (don't let this fool you), but will soon after correctly display ENGINE OIL LIFE 100% (or something like that).

As you can see, the second method is much simpler and easier than the first, so if you have the DIC and steering wheel controls, it makes more sense to use the second method.

HTH!

cashflow50
06-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Can you reset the built in oil life indicator even though I haven't changed the oil? I haven't been resetting the indicator lately after an oil change, so I just wanted to reset it. It won't do any damage just to reset it right?

tonytone
06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Can you reset the built in oil life indicator even though I haven't changed the oil? I haven't been resetting the indicator lately after an oil change, so I just wanted to reset it. It won't do any damage just to reset it right?
You can reset it anytime...as GM or anyone else will tell you, oil life indicators aren't meant to be an absolute substitute for personally knowing when you need to change the oil in your vehicle.

YukonGMC
06-10-2005, 03:48 AM
I use Mobil 1 now. This being my first go around with it. Do not drive 2001 Yukon XL much at all. At 4100 miles and 8 months since oil change the light comes on. Wonder why ? No dusty conditions. I thought to at least see 6000 + before light. Anyway I changed it. It's going to get expensive changing Mobil 1 every 4K.

Add your comment to this topic!