Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i need help with my 87 daytona

daytona man
01-12-2005, 02:48 PM
i have a 87 daytona pacifica 2.2 ltr turbo 1 engine wondering where i can find good aftermarket proformance parts. intercooler, turbo upgrade,head gasket, and boost controler

Vetteman84
01-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Hey man i've got a great place for ya. Check out www.turbosunleashed.com I'm getting most of my stuff off of this website. also forwardmotioninc.com is a really good one too.

Polygon
01-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Another good vendor is FWD Performance. (http://www.fwdperformance.com)

PWMAN
01-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Hmm, nice car! Is yours auto or manual?

First off, you have a ''suck through'' intake manifold so you cannot intercool it. But I have a recipe for you that you can do for under $200 for 30+ HP gains.
First thing is first get a quality boost gauge. The stock gauge can be very inaccurate and is very vague anyway. What I did is holesaw the stock located and put a aftermarket round gauge in it's place.
Next get yourself a air/fuel gauge from www.dawesdevices.com . Yes it's $60 but it will save you hundreds down the road.
3rd, now the fun starts. Go to ebay and do a search for ''manual boost controller''. You'll get a good bit of results. Find yourself the CHEAPEST one, they all work the same there's no need to get fancy. I use a $10 MBC and have around a 300 WHP setup. To hook it up first screw it all the way out so it's on the smallest setting of boost, this should be around 5-7 PSI. Then simply take the vacuum line that goes to the stock selenoid and hook it to the MBC. Then run the line from the other side of the MBC to the wastegate can on the turbo. Now go for a test drive with some WOT sessions, verify that you are only getting 5-7 PSI. If your boost jumps very fast and you hit cutout you installed the MBC backwards....go out and flip it around! Once you get your 5-7 PSI you can pull over somewhere and give the MBC 1/2 turn. This should put you somewhere around 10 PSI, you will notice an increase in turbo spool-up and low end torque will dramatically increase. Go out again and give your MBC 1/4 turn, your target is 12-13 PSI and NO MORE. And I know you are running pump Premium gas right?
4th, this is the most involved part. If you don't mind loud exhuast and if you don't have emissions inspections this is for you! Take a sawzall and cut your exhaust off right before the cat (taking the CAT off). Buy (2) 4 foot sections of 2.5'' exhaust pipe (with 1 swaged end on each pipe)and a 90 degree bend. Fit the first 4' section on the stock downpipe. Next put on the 90 degree bend, then put the last 4' section on that and leave it stick out the side. If there is more than 2'' stick out the side sawzall that off too. You'll also have to figure out some hanger locations if the stock ones don't work out. Please note that you will be running no muffler or catalytic converter and your exhaust will be pretty loud. However, the insanely fast spooling turbo, the turbo sound in your exhaust, and the 20 HP increase will be WELL worth it!!!! If you drive long distances with your window down it can get quite droning if you don't like loud exhuast, but I for one just love to hear the turbo spooling in the exhuast note it is soooo sweet.

Thats about all you can do for a suck-through car. At this point you probably will blow a headgasket if you are running the stocker. Replace it with a Mopar unit and use new Mopar head bolts and you will be good to go.
The best thing you can do for power is a T2 conversion, which I have done. This allows you to have the ''blow-through'' style intake and allows an intercooler to be used. Plus the intake itself makes more power.
But yeah places for aftermarket stuff have all been mentioned. Turbo's unleashed is the greatest, FWDperformance has always been good to me, and forward motion is pretty decent as well.

The best place for tech is hands down www.thedodgegarage.com and visit the ''turbo database''.

Add your comment to this topic!