Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Probe GT clutch problem

free2fly97
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
My clutch stays down when I shift and I have to pull it back up using the back of my foot to get it into the next gear. Is there a slave cylinder or a spring I need to check? Or is it the clutch itself. It just happened out of the blue w/ no warning.

Sleeper_GT
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
this same thing happened to my friends truck. his was because of the cold. if you live somewhere very cold, i would try putting it in a heated garage. probably overnight or longer.

free2fly97
01-12-2005, 07:41 PM
this same thing happened to my friends truck. his was because of the cold. if you live somewhere very cold, i would try putting it in a heated garage. probably overnight or longer.
Thanks for the response :) But I live in Florida between Daytona & Orlando, it got chilly here but not cold. Anyone else?

free2fly97
01-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the response :) I guess I should have mentioned where I lived. I didn't know the cold could affect somthing like that. Anyhow I live in Central Florida between Daytona & Orlando. It got chilly here, but not cold. Any other ideas?

Sleeper_GT
01-13-2005, 06:40 PM
i'm not sure, i was hoping it was something simple like that. does the clutch slip any? and have you checked clutch fluid?

free2fly97
01-13-2005, 07:46 PM
i'm not sure, i was hoping it was something simple like that. does the clutch slip any? and have you checked clutch fluid?
The clutch does not slip, just gets stuck to the point I have to pull it back up with the top of my foot, it shifts fine. Speaking of clutch fluid, is there a slave cylinder for that year & if so, where would it be located? Anyone??

jtecj
01-17-2005, 01:50 PM
you moste likely just need to blead your slave cylinder..if that doesnt work or the boot on the slaveclylinder is broken then you need to replace it.

Good luck and let us know what happens

free2fly97
01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
you moste likely just need to blead your slave cylinder..if that doesnt work or the boot on the slaveclylinder is broken then you need to replace it.

Good luck and let us know what happens
Ok, this is gonna sound stupid, but where is the slave cylinder located? I have been unable to find a repair manual for the car. Even tho I am a woman, I am not afraid to work on my own car. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking. I wanna try to fix this problem on my own as well if I can. The slave cylinder takes reg. brake fluid, correct?

jtecj
01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
yeah the probes use break fluid for the slave cylinder, It is located under the front intake(not the box but where the air actually enters the car) on the front of the engine block. It is somewhat small has a boot on the right side of it and has a rod that comes out of it but not very far which meats a flat bar with a little round spot on it. Kind of hard to explain...hope that helped. Also this is on the GT models with the 2.5 v6 I dont know what year or model your car is so this may not hold true to your specific model. Let us know what you find.

Duncan626
01-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Ok, this is gonna sound stupid, but where is the slave cylinder located? I have been unable to find a repair manual for the car. Even tho I am a woman, I am not afraid to work on my own car. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking. I wanna try to fix this problem on my own as well if I can. The slave cylinder takes reg. brake fluid, correct?

My Haynes manual covers Mazda 626 and MX-6 or Ford Probe from 1993-2001. Look under "Mazda" and you'll find it. The Chilton guide is similar.

And yes, the clutch uses standard DOT 3 brake fluid.

free2fly97
01-20-2005, 11:24 PM
My Haynes manual covers Mazda 626 and MX-6 or Ford Probe from 1993-2001. Look under "Mazda" and you'll find it. The Chilton guide is similar.

And yes, the clutch uses standard DOT 3 brake fluid.

Ok, one more silly question & then I think I can actually tackle this thing! I located the slave cylinder, but don't know how to put the brake fluid in. Oh, by the way, I do have a GT w/ a 2.5 V6. Thanks for everyone's help on this quest!

Duncan626
01-22-2005, 04:23 AM
Ok, one more silly question & then I think I can actually tackle this thing! I located the slave cylinder, but don't know how to put the brake fluid in. Oh, by the way, I do have a GT w/ a 2.5 V6. Thanks for everyone's help on this quest!

If you're at the front of the car, looking into the engine bay, the master cylinder is on the right-hand-side firewall behind the shock tower.

You'll probably want a second person to pour the fluid while you watch the bleed valve on the slave cylinder for air bubbles - it's tough to do both at once, unless you're Mr. (Mrs.?) Fantastic. :)

Add your comment to this topic!