rear carrier bearing

tjworthen
01-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I popped out the carrier bearing on the rear driveline on my 4x4 2500 hd quad cab. So rather than fix it myself I took it to our local mechanic. My bill today is $450. For kicks, I called the dealer and autozone. The dealer wants $136 for the bearing and autozone wants $19.

I guess I should of fixed it myself. Can you believe the discrepancy.

BleedDodge
01-11-2005, 06:53 PM
It pays to shop around.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

tjworthen
03-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, the story didn't end here. The carrier bearing popped out again. So I took it back to the mechanic that did the work and he said I needed to replace the driveline and yoke to the rear differential as it was frozen. The additional cost was $350 more. So now I've spent $800. I noticed the new driveline has grease zerks on it. My original one was maintenance/lube free. Does anybody have an opinion on whether I got a better driveline or an inferior one to the stock?

fredjacksonsan
03-27-2005, 09:56 PM
It never hurts to be able to regrease a moving part. The original sealed ones are supposed to be permanently lubricated..... I'd say as long as the new parts are heavy duty enough (aka the correct application) and you keep them greased, you should be fine, quality-wise.

Lemme guess, you're in the market for a grease gun now? :)

Add your comment to this topic!