Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmision or converter problem ?

ralph75050
01-11-2005, 02:32 PM
last year when i started my car two days in a row it acted as if it had no trans at all till it warmed up sence then it has been fine. last month
it sounded like the flyweel was loose or something it knocked till I put it in gear then it stopped. when I went home yesterday I was traveling on freeway about 40 mph. the car shook real bad and slowed down like I had the brakes on pretty hard and did not let off till it reached about 10 or 15 mph. I had to ease it home. It seemed ok till about 20 mph. then like the brakes again till about 15 mph. do I need the converter, the transmision, or bolth changed. or does anybody have any ideas. PLEASE help.

jsgold
01-11-2005, 04:39 PM
May be the TCC solenoid causing this, but usually symptoms are a little different. Usually the car goes OK until it gets hot, then shakes and stalls when you try to slow down or stop. Won't go in drive or reverse until it cools down again. These go bad fairly often, and in fact mine bit the dust a while back. Can get it fixed at most shops for 150-250 dollars. See what other advice you get, but if the torque coverter acts up you will hear some racket for sure. You can try a quick fix by unhooking the 4 pin plug to the transmission and see what happens... If yours is a 6 cylinder it should be under the air filter holder. Should be similar for 4 cyl. I think. Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion??? (If this stops your trouble don't let it go forever, you can drive for a while like this but won't have overdrive gear which will use more gas and put a little more strain on system)

planedude
01-15-2005, 11:29 PM
did u check your fluid level? what year?

Add your comment to this topic!