Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

That plastic thing under the front bumper

fredchicken
01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
2004 Sierra Crew 4X4...

Not sure what is called but that body molding under the front bumper (it's a big piece - goes from side to side about 10 inches tall)

Should that crack for no reason?

It's really cold (-40C) but I don't think it should crack.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

kenny-1907
01-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I have a 2000 silverado with the same plastic and mine is fine and it has been cold here as well, -45c to -50c windchil at times. I am lening towards the possibility of something hitting it , either while it was being driven say off road through the snow and possibly a hard chunk of snow or ice hit it, or maybe it was hit while it was parked somewhere. Just a thought.

fredchicken
01-18-2005, 05:34 PM
We've had a fair bit of snow - I guess it must have been easier to break because it was cold.

Cadillakin'98
01-18-2005, 09:39 PM
"That plastic thing under the front bumper" is what is called an "airdam". Majority, if not all, vehicles on the road today that were originally equipped with an "airdam" are either scratched, scuffed-up, or broken (if it's even still attached). The cause to this "airdam " damage occuring on the roads today ids a direct result of the "AIRHEADS" that operate these motor vehicles. These "AIRHEADS" seem to have a thing for pulling up over the curb when parking. Thanks to these "AIRHEADS" who cannot drive needlesstosay spell "airdam" give us auto body techs what is known as "job security"

TRE-X
01-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Cadillakin’98
Your response to the previous reply was out of line. You are basically calling fredchicken and anyone else who doesn’t know the proper name for the air deflector an “AIRHEAD”. His truck may not even have an air deflector based on the VIN, which I would have to see to better answer the question. He is most likely talking about the molding under the chrome on the bumper. Anyway this forum is for answering questions no matter how simple they are. Your response will probably discourage others from participating in this great resource. Before you use your advanced schooling knowledge of the English language, use the spell check option on your computer; “needlesstosay” is three words! By the way, (three words) where do you work so I don’t take my vehicle there?

Good day

sechracer
01-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Funny, my truck has an "air dam" and its not broken, and I pull my bumper over the curb all the time. Too bad some of us "Airheads" have the clearance. As for Fred, if you mean the plastic molding that hides the tow hooks. Then yes it is the air dam, and they can break if hit with a chunk of ice when they are that cold. They really do not serve much purpose other than looks. They help keep minor debris away from belts, but not much is going to get up there if yours is missing. If you do a lot of off road driving, I would recommend a skid plate for protection. Otherwise it’s not an important piece. Unless you like your truck to look nice. As for Cadillakin, you’re a peckerhead. I am sure you give someone “Job Security” somewhere.

Add your comment to this topic!