Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint!!!

makinavaja
01-11-2005, 06:52 AM
I would like to re paint a model, and to strip the paint some guys told me to use sosa caustica (in spanish...sorry..jeje), I think it's NaOH, but in the drugstore said me that maybe it would damage the plastic pieces...
I don't know how to use it, time, hot water??
Well hope u can help me.
thanks!
toni

RallyRaider
01-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Haven't heard of using caustic soda as a stripper. Sounds interesting, maybe it works on a particular type of paint? If you're interested, there are plenty of other paint stripping methods that have been discussed here, look them up in the FAQ or using the search function.

makinavaja
01-11-2005, 07:28 AM
I've read the FAQ, but in a spanish forum, everybody says that the best way to strip paint is the caustic soda.
Solve it with water, wait 15 minutes, and then put in to the piece and with a teethbrush strip the paint.
But I'm not sure if it will damage the plastic cause I've never try it...
And the products u say in the FAQ are not in spain, but the brake fluid.
toni

tonioseven
01-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Try using 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol; it will even strip some Duplicolor paints. Use all safety precautions when working with any chemical!!!

proosen
01-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Stripping paint, to my knowledge no one of these will harm the plastic except for the brake fluid that can attack some plastics, try on a scrap piece first if you're not certain of the result.

Enamels (Humbrol, Modelmaster and others) use caustic soda, brake fluid or oven cleaner (contains caustic soda as the active ingredient, at least in Mr. Muscle).
Acrylics (Tamiya, Gunze and others) any alcohol will strip it in a matter of minutes.
Laquers (Tamiya spraycans and others) Brake fluid will strip it in a matter of days

I know people use a lot of other products to strip paint, this is what I can get a hold on here in Sweden.

Good luck!
Niclas

the dog
01-11-2005, 08:11 AM
caustic soda is also known as "lie, or lye" in the drug store. It's the bad stuff in oven cleaner. 2 teaspoons, in a litre of hot water will strip most oil based paints. Rubber gloves, and safety glass are a must with this stuff. Prepainted models (from the factory)need to be stripped with 91% alcohol.
Randy

makinavaja
01-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks a lot, I will try the soda and will tell u all what happened
toni

Add your comment to this topic!