Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

so my dad has this giant air compressor and a professional paint gun...

Ansel Marrow
01-10-2005, 10:48 PM
...but it looks like im goign to need a hell of alot of paint to get it to work. i imagine at least 5 of the little bottles of testors stuff to even get the hose to reach down into it. shoudl i buy an airbrush to use this awesome compressor? the psi is adjustable, though the hose is like 3/4ths of an inch think. i dunno if i could buy a modelers airbrush that would fit that, seeing as i dont want to use the gigantic one that can spray down a whole car body. ideas? no more testors cans thats for damn sure...

JTRACING
01-10-2005, 11:11 PM
...but it looks like im goign to need a hell of alot of paint to get it to work. i imagine at least 5 of the little bottles of testors stuff to even get the hose to reach down into it. shoudl i buy an airbrush to use this awesome compressor? the psi is adjustable, though the hose is like 3/4ths of an inch think. i dunno if i could buy a modelers airbrush that would fit that, seeing as i dont want to use the gigantic one that can spray down a whole car body. ideas? no more testors cans thats for damn sure...

Im sure you can get an adapter, Seeing as how the professional painters also use airbrushes, I would think they hook it to the same compressor!?.

just check out your local parts store, bring the hose and air brush along with you so you get the proper connectors.

sandrunner
01-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Definitly buy or make yourself an adapter to go from 3/4 to 1/4. With the adjustable pressure you'll have plenty of room to work with an airbrush. If it doesn't have one already, I'd also recommend getting a moisture trap. The larger compressors produce lots of it pressuring up.

01-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Yes you can airbrush with that compressor. I use my shop compressor for airbrushing. My Badger hose came with the usual fitting that accepted the quick-connect coupling for the big compressor hose. Didn't even need an adapter. Some airbrushes come with crappy vinyl hoses and those will need an adapter, if it doesn't come with one already. I had to use an adapter for the Aztek, pulled it off my old diaphragm compressor.

Don't use the spray gun. Like you said you'd need a lot of paint just for the siphon to reach, and by then it won't even pick it up correctly. Those have to be at least 1/4 full to work correctly. I do use a top-feed detail gun for clearcoating models, though.

Ansel Marrow
01-11-2005, 01:50 AM
cool, thanks for the info guys. ill definitly look into this, and it beats buying a seperate compressor for a few hundred dollars. can someone reccomend me a brand of airbrush that would work well with this? something under a hundred bucks?

RallyRaider
01-11-2005, 02:16 AM
can someone reccomend me a brand of airbrush that would work well with this? something under a hundred bucks?

Yup. Iwata Revolution CR. (http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Revolution_Airbrushes.html)

mike@af
01-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Phil posted a fabulous link, I love my Iwata. I use it on everything from hot wheels, to professional artwork on cars/choppers. I also attach it to my compressors with no problem.

Add your comment to this topic!