2001 temp gauge

billyo69
01-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Has anyone else had there temp gauge not work intermittingly.It seems not to work in real cold weather but in warmer weather it works.I have changed temp sending unit.I think when its real cold the wire contracts and loses its connection maybe bad wire .( just wondering)

blazee
01-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Does your heater work? Is it as hot as it is suppose to be? Does it take longer to warm up than it used to? Does the gauge show normal temperature when "it works"? Or low temperature when it works and no temperature when it doesn't?

billyo69
01-13-2005, 09:35 AM
the heat and water temp is fine and when the gauge works it is normal when it doesnt work it is out completly but the water temp is fine.EXCEPT when gauge doesnt work the cooling fans run which is what drives me nuts.ANY IDEAS???

jklopp
01-13-2005, 10:30 AM
i have the same problem on my 01 impala. the temp gauge works if i pull the fan fuse out and let it warm up. so i do not think it is the sensor. i have noticed that the car somtimes builds up some static elec. maybe a por ground is part of the problem? if you find your problem please post it. jklopp

bermis519
01-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Is that why i get shocked every time i get out...it's annoying....sometimes i don't want to get out because i know i'm going to get a shock..what do I do to fix it.???

mike

blazee
01-13-2005, 06:27 PM
There are a few things that could cause temperature gauge problems:

The thermostat could be stuck open, in which case it would need to be replaced. The signs of an open thermostat would that the engine takes a very long time to heat up and would never get up to normal operating temperature, and your heater would not work ( it may be warm but wouldn't get hot).

The sending unit or gauge could be bad, or it could even be a loose wire that connects them. the sign of one of these problems would be that everything functions normally, except the gauge doesn't move.

All these things can be tested:

To test the thermostat take it out, look at it, (Is it open?) put it in water on the stove, it should open around 195 degrees

To test the wires and gauge, ground the wire to the sending unit with the key on, the gauge should read full scale.

To test the sending unit, according to Haynes:
1. Remove the sending unit from the engine and clip ohmmeter leads to the sending unit body and the terminal. Place the sending unit in a pan of water on the stove, with a cooking thermometer in the water. On a cold (50-80 degrees F) sender, the resistence should be 5,700 to 2,200 ohms. When it has warmed up to operating temperature (170 to 200 degrees F) the resistence should drop to 200-300 ohms.

billyo69...Your problem sounds like it is in the sending unit, wires or gauge. They can be tested like I described above.

jklopp....Your problem is probably a stuck thermostat. In a normally operating system, the thermostat closes off the water to the engine to allow it to reach operating temperature, then opens or closes to maintain that temp. When the thermostat is stuck open, the water continually circulates through the engine and radiator never reaching operating temperature. When you pull the fan fuse, you cancel the cooling effect of the radiator allowing the engine to reach operating temp.

You both should test everything before replacing any parts, what I described above is only the most likely problems and not a definite answer.

Oh..... and the static is unrelated to any 12volt problems. Every newer model chevy that I have owned and rode in as had this problem, except the ones with leather seats.

jklopp
01-14-2005, 12:15 PM
to blazee if my thermostat was stuck open and gauge not reading why would the cooling fans run at start up. thanks for your help jklopp

blazee
01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I based my opinion, on the information I had. I could be wrong. I really don't have enough info for a definite idea of the problem.
As far as the cooling fans go, alot of people don't know that the cooling fan comes on whenever the AC or defrost are on. I thought this could explain that.

Let me ask a few more questions.
Do the fans run when the AC and defrost are not on?
When you pull the fuse:
How long does it take to warm up?
Does it get up to normal operating temperature?
Does it warm up when your sitting still, driving, or both?

jklopp
01-14-2005, 01:43 PM
hey blazee i do appreciate the help. i think this problem is commen in the 01 and iam sure someone has the answer. sometimes everthing works ok. to answer your ? about a/c on and fan fuse pulled the fans do not run and temp gauge works. senerio is as soon as i start the car fans start running temp guage does not move. i think i will change out the thermastat and sensor and cross my fingers. thanks again.

billyo69
01-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Well i changed the temp sending unit again only this time i got the one with the new wire and plug and now it works so i guess it was the wire.(good call blazee )

blazee
01-18-2005, 09:17 PM
That's good, I hope that was the problem. Did you test everything, like I said above, or just guess and get lucky?

billyo69
01-18-2005, 10:01 PM
To be honest i just guessed because the wire thing made sense.When i bought the first sending unit they asked if i wanted the one with or without the wire.So i was cheap the first time live and learn.

blazee
01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm glad it worked for you. Just for future reference though...it usually isn't a good idea to replace parts without testing first.

A friend of mine had nick in the wire going to his sending unit, when it would short out the gauge would go all the way up. First he thought it was the sending unit, so he changed that out, when that didn't fix it he thought it was really overheating. To make a long story short before I found the wire and put tape on it (which fixed it) he had replaced the thermostat, water pump, and radiator.

chivasregal
01-28-2005, 12:57 PM
I had the same problem on my car (2001 Impala). Changed the temp sensor, got the same problem a couple days later, Found out if you pull the PCM fuse, that resets the temp sending unit and haven't had a problem since then. The PCM fuse is under the hood on the passenger side, top fuse box. Pull it out, wait a couple of mins, then put it back in.

Add your comment to this topic!