Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Expedition Hard Start/No Start

brianj2005
01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Our 1999 Expedition has completely died... It will not start at all. I shot some ether down her throat with a crank and it fired right up until the ether was gone. Having had multiple Fords, when I discovered no fuel pressure I assumed that the pump in the tank was bad and replaced it by default... Unfortunately, this did not cure the problem.

The new pump will spit a bit of fuel from a disconnected fuel line ahead of the fuel filter, or behind it for that matter. The fuel pump relay was changed out with one from a running F-150 with no change.

The vehicle has been "moody" and I have been reading about Idle Air Control Valves in various forums. Will a bad IACV cause the engine to not start? We have gas in it and it's in a heated shop to 60 degrees F. It's not froze up....

Please help me.....

Thanks.....

al52269
01-09-2005, 10:08 PM
I had the same problem on my cousin's Ford Taurus. Have you tried changing the gas filter? It solve the problem on her car. Hope this helps. Good Luck, Al

jdsmith75202
01-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I had exactly the same problem wound up driving with both feet, one on the gas the other on the brake to keep the idle up high enough that it didn't stall.

To make a long story short it was the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), cost me 42 bucks at O'Reilys Auto Parts.

The device sits right on top of the engine behind the the black plastic 5.4 cover.

You'll need a ratcheting box rench 8mm to remove it. If you use a standard box rench you'll be there till the cows come home.

Hope this helps!

Our 1999 Expedition has completely died... It will not start at all. I shot some ether down her throat with a crank and it fired right up until the ether was gone. Having had multiple Fords, when I discovered no fuel pressure I assumed that the pump in the tank was bad and replaced it by default... Unfortunately, this did not cure the problem.

The new pump will spit a bit of fuel from a disconnected fuel line ahead of the fuel filter, or behind it for that matter. The fuel pump relay was changed out with one from a running F-150 with no change.

The vehicle has been "moody" and I have been reading about Idle Air Control Valves in various forums. Will a bad IACV cause the engine to not start? We have gas in it and it's in a heated shop to 60 degrees F. It's not froze up....

Please help me.....

Thanks.....

Add your comment to this topic!