Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

re-painting

kainsreign
01-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I've been contemplating the idea of painting my Maverick on my own and have been reading diffrent articles on the subject,the current paint job is a two-tone(maroon on top,grey on bottom)the various articles ive read offer two diffrent methods to remove existing paint,sanding,and chemical stripping,wich do u think would be best??

GTStang
01-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Before I talk anymore do you own any painting equipment already?

Also is this a one-time deal for you or are you going to paint more than one car?

kainsreign
01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
i have an air compressor and paint gun,have'nt purchased any paint yet,and i just intend on painting one car for now,maybe more down the road.

tkhilliard
01-22-2005, 08:15 AM
it depends to on the shape of the existing paint. if its got crows feet (cracking) hit it with 80 down to the metal. if its in decent shape you would probaly be safe sanding with 320 grit. you can use paint stripper, its massy and smelly but saves ya sanding time, and a sore vibrating hand. if you go that route, Brody makes a good stripper.

mitchdakid
01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
The best way to sand is to water sand with a 320 grit paper, and all one direction that way you can't see different directions in the paint. And you want to hand sand.
First off where are you painting the vehicle at.
After sanding the car and putting bondo over dents, and deep scratches, you will want to make sure that all chemicals you have sprayed in that area you have given a few days to air out. Then make sure you wipe the whole car down and that there are no chemicals on the car otherwise the paint will fish eye and you will be doing it all over again. Another thing you have to worry about is the dust in the air, and the dirt that will get on the car during the painting process.
Sounds like a lot of work but it will pay off in the end.

Add your comment to this topic!