Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 S10 Heater Core

Ron Davis
01-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I need to replace the heater core in my 91 S10. It is a 4.3 V6 with Air conditioning. I can't seem to find any helpful information on my specific year. I went to the dealer and their books only went back to 1992. It said you remove from under the hood outside. I discovered that the only thing on the outside was the core infeed and discharge pipes. How do you remove the core? Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

hunter01
01-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Get a Chilton (8139) 28160 This covers S-10 from 83 to 95. Drain coolant system. Remove heater hoses from core under hood and plug openings. Inside truck under glove box remove cover to see heater core. Sometimes you have to practically remove dashboard to get at fasteners holding core in. I would recommend getting the book.

Mikado14
01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
On the '91 you are removing the dash. Get the Chilton's or the Haynes.

footballmoose
01-09-2005, 07:46 PM
in the cab behind the glove box ,you have to remove the glove box to access upper screws to heater core cover, the other screws are a little tricky but you don't have to remove the dash.Also make sure you remove the two rubber hoses under the hood that are connected to the heater core (by blower) before removing core.when you take the heater core cover off,you have two metal bands holding in the core ,I only removed the two lower band screws and temp bent the bands on top to remove the core (because it was such a pain to access the top band screws ) . if you can, remove the top two screws to keep from damaging the core on re installiation.I believe you also have to remove the right side kick panel to remove the core cover.

tom3
01-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Full info on this site:

http://www.sytyarchives.com/howto/viewarticle.php?article_name=heater_core.php&dir=climate_controls

jsgold
01-09-2005, 08:16 PM
If yours is similar to my 93 S-10 Blazer, you may be able to remove the core without taking out entire dash. On mine, I took out the radio, glove box, and took out what screws / bolts I could to loosen the dash. However, I found on mine that I was able to "pull" the right side of the dash out a bout 3-4 inches, which gave me enough room to remove the duct and the core. A bit of a pain, but went pretty well considering I had never done it before.

Mikado14
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
in the cab behind the glove box ,you have to remove the glove box to access upper screws to heater core cover, the other screws are a little tricky but you don't have to remove the dash.Also make sure you remove the two rubber hoses under the hood that are connected to the heater core (by blower) before removing core.when you take the heater core cover off,you have two metal bands holding in the core ,I only removed the two lower band screws and temp bent the bands on top to remove the core (because it was such a pain to access the top band screws ) . if you can, remove the top two screws to keep from damaging the core on re installiation.I believe you also have to remove the right side kick panel to remove the core cover.

The '91's glove box cannot be removed, it is part of the dash.

Add your comment to this topic!