Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlight Bulbs

gapboi210
01-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I have gone through atleast 3 headlights in the past year. They are always burning out. Does anyone else have this problem?

ViperJ
01-09-2005, 11:50 AM
I have switched to some eurolite bulbs and those haven't burned out yet.

gapboi210
01-10-2005, 11:28 AM
I also switched to the Eurodezigns High Intensity White. They have a lifetime warranty but I still have to pay $6.95 for S&H. I heard they burn out all the time because the headlight are also the Daytime running lights so that they are on all the time.

Johnny R
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I still have all the original bulbs in my 99 Malibu. Are you getting condensation or water in the headlamp assembly? high pressure washing or big puddles?

gapboi210
01-11-2005, 05:28 PM
No condensation. Headlights are clear and dry inside.

gapboi210
03-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Well, the eurolights went also, One and then the other within a couple of weeks of each other. So, I am again driving with one headlight untill I have the chance to mail in the defective one for warranty exchange. Not sure why. This has to be the 4th set of headlights in 14 months.

03ls
03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
This may be because General Motors has a system called Daytime Running Lamps, or DRL. They run when your car does in the day, so whatever part of the day it is, your low beams will be on. It makes perfect sense that if a light stays on longer, it will burn out faster. That might be the problem. If you wish, consider removing the DRL the fuse is under the dash. GM apparently thinks people are too retarted to know when it is too dark out to turn on the lights. Besides most GM cars have the automatic lights that activate at night, including the Malibu. It is totally redundant because when it gets dark enough, the lights will pop on and there is no need for DRL's. :screwy:

gapboi210
03-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Well the DRL are for safety in the daytime. They tend to help be more visable espcially at sunrise and sunset. And when you pull the DRL fuse you get the SES light on the dash. But it doesn't make since that they would go every 3 months even if they are on in the day.

wymi
03-19-2005, 10:22 AM
no drl
at the BCM, locate Connector C2 (center)

On the "B" side row of pins, locate the dark blue wire (b4)

Cut this wire, leaving as much as possible still attached to the BCM.

Now simply add on a piece of wire to the side that is still connected to the body control module. attach this wire to a good ground, like a screw in the metal part of the dash behind the glove box or I used the interior light mounting bracket screw right there next to the BCM.

The BCM now see's this to mean that the regular headlights are on, and so it energizes the relay that turns off the DRL's

The Body Control Module is under the dash on the passenger side, I used this method to turn of the DRL's on my 01 Malibu about a year ago. No SES light will come on and your headlight bulbs will last a long time.

03ls
03-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Well if you really think that they are for safety, if you had to drive, say a Ford, that has no DRL, would you turn the lights on in the day, when it is sunny? And even if they are for safety at dawn and dusk, if it is dark enough out the auto lights would pop on anyway, so they are pretty much pointless.

wymi
03-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Well if you really think that they are for safety, if you had to drive, say a Ford, that has no DRL, would you turn the lights on in the day, when it is sunny? And even if they are for safety at dawn and dusk, if it is dark enough out the auto lights would pop on anyway, so they are pretty much pointless.

Agreed, but I also disabled my auto headlights, drove me nuts having those come on as soon as I started my car at night. I know when it's time to turn the lights on, I like having full control of my lights and no DRL's.

03ls
03-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I totally agree with you, no DRL and no auto lights are better. I know when it is time to turn my lights on and off i'm no dummy. You are wone of the few that actually agree with what i am saying. do you know about www.lightsout.org It is a great site. and 100% true. :iceslolan

gapboi210
03-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I really don't give a crap about DRL. I have better things to do than whine that my car has headlights that turn on for me at night. And I really don't feel like cutting wires just to disable the DRL. I have friends who have Malibu's that have DRL and their headlights last a few years. Mine go on average about 3 months. I agree with being smart enough to know when to turn my headlights on. But, here in San Antonio, you would be suprised. People go cruisng around town without their lights on at night. When you flash them, they give you the finger. One thing I do I like is the Grand Cherokes let you have either Auto or manual, and you can set them to turn on when it is raining outside. I think that is a good feature. Some people rely on thier auto headlights, and it is pourig down rain and the headlights won't come on if there is enough light.

03ls
03-19-2005, 09:52 PM
My mom has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 and it has the auto/manual and is a nice feature. I'll agree with ya there. but if GM wants to waste money on DRL and for everyone to believe that they will save lives, then there should be a manual/auto for the DRL for the people who don't care for them (me) or people who want them (you). It's as simple as that. But gm says its "wasting money" I personally think DRL is a waste, unless people have a control over their own vehicle.

porrsher
03-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Hi guys,
I usually drive about 60-70k miles a year, for the next two or three years it will be in a 04 malibu. When it comes to the DRL, its a safety feature that frankly i am not convinced that the glare is a hazard. To the other response about getting into a "say a ford" I absolutely turn on lights on if the car is not equiped with DRL. I hit the lightsout.org site and I wonder if the guy who wrote the part about "drl being useless because might only decrease accidents by one or two percent". I wonder if he would feel the same if he lost a lost a loved one in an accident that could have been save in that one-two percent. It's not the guys with the DRL "glare" that I worry about, its the guy who doesnt have them.
just my two cents!

wpbharry
03-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I had my '98 LS for just under 6 years, and yes, while I did have the condensation problem which required new lenses & a reseal, I never, ever had a burned out headlight. Sounds to me like an electrical glitch.

I'm happy that the DRLs on the '04 Maxx are the parking lamps, but I've seen more than one '04 (or '05) around town with one of the 2 parking lamps already burned out. Hummph.

03ls
04-02-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't totally disown DRL's. Just the ones with the low or hi-beams. The parkers are better because they are more eye-catching and have no glare. I am just pissed at the lo/hi beams. They are a bad idea. But for safety, yes the parkers are better for more eye-catching and no glare. Just my :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!