Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Time for a new clutch?

DragonofBC
01-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I had some problems when I was coming home yesterday from Gainesville with my clutch and I wanted to ask all of you for help.

Over the past 2-3 weeks I've been noticing weird/new clutch issues. The first time I noticed was when I was accelerating under WOT and I shifted from 1st to 2nd. When I hit the accelerator in 2nd the RPMs climbed way too fast and the car accelerated way too slow. I tried shifting to 3rd and the same thing happened. I had to let the car out of gear and then re shift to 3rd before it grabbed. This has happened maybe 3 times lately.

On Friday, I was going to Gainesville and I was cruising on the highway in 5th. When I'd go to accelerate, as my car would hit full boost, the rpms would start the climb too quickly and the car wasn't accelerating (same as before). I tried shifting out of gear and back in but the same thing happened each time. I would get a burning smell in the cockpit.

Any help with fixing this would be greatly appreciated. My car just hit 140,000 miles and I don't believe the clutch was ever changed.

dehill
01-14-2005, 08:14 AM
your clutch is slipping out. the more you get those high revs w/o corresponding speed increase, the worse it will get until eventually (soon) it will not grab at all, and all gears will seem like neutral. the smell you are noticing is the clutch burning from an increased amount of friction. time for a new clutch.

Add your comment to this topic!