Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Sunfire Headlight problem

mo340
01-09-2005, 05:51 AM
When the car is shifed into gear the DRL's flash several times and then go out. The service 'wrench' indicator light comes on. The right (passenger)headlight will turn on with the switch but the left headlight will not. Both bright lights work. I have replaced the left headlight bulb and the DRL relay. I have also switched bulbs from side to side with the same result so I know the new bulb is good. Please help, this is making me nuts!

Also, this is my first GM car. Can someone recommend a good service manual that would address problems like this? Thank you.

rallyaddict
01-10-2005, 10:52 PM
It could be your wiring harness. It's a common problem.
There's an area of the harness under the battery tray that often corrodes and fails. Usually just before a big harness connector.

On my car it had failed 3 different times. I got sick of taking it to the dealer & fixed it myself by cutting out the rotted wire & soldering in a new piece. I was able to access this from under the car but might be easier to remove battery & air intake.

mo340
01-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the reply Rally. I gave up on it last night. Thought it was in the harness but I couldn't track it down. Got it back from the shop today and it was a broken wire. What confused me was when I first changed the lamp it worked then it quit then it started working again. Intermitent faults are tough. It's much easier to look for a black burned spot!

Thanks,
mo

bigdaveangell
01-11-2005, 07:45 PM
I have the same problem. I will check the harness tonight. Is there anything else I should check for. I already checked the bulb. I will check the switch next.

rockdude
08-24-2005, 09:58 PM
it is easier to removed the right front headlight asembly to repair the harness that is corroded with like a green ash.. it is a gm splice

Add your comment to this topic!