Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

will not start

awf754
01-08-2005, 06:38 PM
91 Camry with 170000 miles. The car developed a miss about a month ago. The miss seemed to be worse when the car was in a pull. Finally one morning the car would not start.Have replaced fuel pump,spark plugs and rotor button .Have tested for spark and it seems to have a weak spark. Any suggestions as to what to try next?
Thanks

zeek1403
01-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Have you asked a mechanic about replacing your distributor and wires? How about the ignition?

awf754
01-09-2005, 04:18 AM
wires were replaced about 18 months ago but it looks likes they are a universal fit pair. shouldnt the wires be made into the cap for this car?you can remove each wire from the cap now.when car was running the miss seemed worse when it was damp outside.The car would run fine for the first few miles then would begin to sputter. Does anyone think I could have a sensor failing?

Mike Gerber
01-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Since the problem is worse in damp weather, replace the distributor cap and ignition wires. They do come as a 1 piece unit. If that doesn't cure the problem, then the most likely cause is a hairline crack in the coil inside the distributor. This is a fairly common problem in your generation Camry. In damp weather the coil will short out to the moisture that gets inside the distributor. I replaced one in my niece's 91 Camry 3SFE engine about 5-6 years ago to cure this exact problem. Get a manual and take the distributor out of the car and replace the coil. I got a Borg Warner one at Pep Boys for around $45. The dealer wanted to replace the whole distributor at a cost of $600. Her car has been running fine ever since. A temporary (and I do mean temporary) fix is to run a bead of silicone around where the distributor cap meets the distributor housing when the car is warm and running fine. This will temporarily keep the moisture out of the inside of the distributor so the coil has no moisture to short it out.

Good luck with the problem.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!