Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Idling

NicB.
01-08-2005, 02:58 PM
This post is actually for a 1996 Avalon, but the people in that forum are slower to respond, hopefully you Camry gurus can help me...

Anyone ever cleaned the throttle body on a 1MZ-FE engine before? I noticed my '96 avalon was idling too high when the engine was warm (it always idles high at first when it is cold - although I wish there was a way to adjust it down slightly). I kicked the throttle real good and it dropped down to its normal level so I thought maybe the air intake valve was gummed up and bought some throttle body cleaner to try and fix it. When I took off the air hose and attempted to start the car, it immediately died. Likewise, I tried to take the hose off when it was running and it made a whooshing sound and immediately died. The valve looks clean anyway, and I don't seem to be having the problem anymore, but why would the car die like that? Is there a vacuum seal? Also, could it be my idle speed control valve or idle air control valve need adjusting? Where are those located, how can i test them and/or adjust them? Thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

NicB.

yotatechie04
01-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Throttle bodies are actually fairly easy to clean on these cars. When you go to clean the throttle body or bodies, it is recommended that you remove the throttle body from the vehicle completely and clean with the throttle cleaner and an old toothbrush to remove all the buildup. Make sure that the throttle body cleaner is safe for emissions control systems. The reason your engine died when you removed the hose is most likely caused by vacuum. I do believe that the IAC valve and ISV are pre-calibrated, where they can't be adjusted.

Add your comment to this topic!