99 Sierra, automatic headlights

bigbrad123
01-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I am wondering how I can turn off my automatic headlights on my 99 Sierra? I do not want them to come on automatically when it gets dark. I would like to do it manually. The dealership said they cannot do it for liability reasons. How can I get them so I can manually turn them on and off?

joxx12
01-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I think I read in my Owner's manual how to do this. You might check yours and see.

If i remember right your push your dome light override button a certain amount of times and do something else, I can't really remember.

Later

sechracer
01-09-2005, 02:05 AM
could always pull the drl fuse

bigbrad123
01-10-2005, 09:50 PM
joxx12: I read my manual. Nothing in there about the automatic headlights. The only thing that was close about the headlights being off while vehicle is in the park mode with emergency brake on. Nothing about when the vehicle is in drive. It said the automatic headlamp system will stay off until you release the parking break.

sechracer: Will pulling the drl fuse do anything to the automatic headlights? Won't it just effect the daytime running lamps? I don't think they are on the same fuse.

Any other suggestions?

sechracer
01-11-2005, 07:07 AM
it will shut them off, usually the drl and auto headlights are on the same fuse. The regular headlights will still work. I pulled the drl fuse in my 97, due to putting on aftermarket driving lights, and ny state law requires 2 things, 1 that they have a switch and 2 that the are shut off wghen high beams come on. Best way to get them to do that is to tap into the low beam power and use a relay for main power. So unless you want to have them on all the time or shut them off till night time, pulling that fuse kiss the drl. and then the lights are only on when you turn on the headlamp switch.

davemisto
01-16-2005, 09:18 AM
this is what you do, i have a 2000, make sure you have headlight switch off, push the dome override button in in/out like 3 times and that should turn them off, then you can use your headlight switch to turn on/off

Rage67ss
03-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Ah yes, the problem that plagues all of us with a 99 GM truck... I have a silverado. a couple of things.... first, the DRL fuse, unfortuanatly, the auto headlights are not on the same circut, so pulling the fuse doesn't work on this vehicle... I've tried. Second, the dome light button, GM didn't add that feature until the 2000 year models... strike two. I have been searching for months and months. I found a company that makes a harness that will add a switch to your truck to turn the auto headlight feature on and off with the flip of a switch, but of corse, they are out of stock and backordered until god knows when. I have also found one other option that I have yet to try, but from the research I've done, looks like it will work. Basically, you need to remove the censor that is in the dash, remove the plug that goes into it and jump the plug with a 1.5K ohm resistor. The system work on voltage, the censor measures ambient light, changes the readings into an electrical signal andcreates resistance accoss the circut, hence turning off your lights. In other words, the lights are normally/always on, they are just turned off by light creating resistance. I hope that makes sense, i'm trying to simplify it. anyways, by jumping the plug with the resistor, your are making the vehicle always think that it is sunny out. You should be able to purchase the resistor at any auto parts store or probably a better place to look would be Radio Shack. keep in mind, a small LED light is a resistor. anyways, give it a shot and let me know if it works. I have been really wanting to try it, but have been really busy with work and really just haven't had the time. Good Luck! Here are a couple of links that reference the above stated material.

http://www.s-series.org/htm/how2/AHL.htm

This is the company that is developing the headlight switch. click on Products and then GM Headlight Sens.
http://www.easyperformance.com/index.html

MrBillPro
03-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Just pulled the fuse on my 98 that was it, did not mess with anything else at all. :iceslolan

pies
03-12-2005, 10:39 AM
i have a 2000, davemisto if i do the override trick you suggested , do you have to operate the lights manually from there on end or do they reset back to auto after you turn the key off and on. or how do you reset them to work automatically afterwards. thanks in advance

Rage67ss
03-13-2005, 02:04 AM
i have a 2000, davemisto if i do the override trick you suggested , do you have to operate the lights manually from there on end or do they reset back to auto after you turn the key off and on. or how do you reset them to work automatically afterwards. thanks in advance

If your refering to the dome override switch trick, it will reset to Auto when you turn the truck off. push the dome override button like 4 times, (if I recall correctly) and you will hear an audio "bong bong bong" to turn off auto. Same type of sound made when you leave the headlight switch in the on position and turn the car off.

pies
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
thank you rage67ss

nighttrain33
01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
You should be able to purchase the resistor at any auto parts store or probably a better place to look would be Radio Shack. keep in mind, a small LED light is a resistor. anyways, give it a shot and let me know if it works. I have been really wanting to try it, but have been really busy with work and really just haven't had the time.

I finally got around to doing this tonight, and it definitely works. Really awesome information!

-Shane

Add your comment to this topic!